front end noise, maybe whell bearings or one of the gears

EdAki
0

Asked by EdAki Jun 17, 2008 at 10:47 AM about the 2001 Honda Civic DX Coupe

Josh Schonert
85

what does it sound like? If it is a grinding noise then it could be a few things. Grinding noise = worn or dried out bearings, Steering joint could be freezing up, or your brakes have something stuck in them. Ticking noise = Something stuck in your brake system or wheel and it is hitting, O ring on one of your pistons could be wearing out, Some sort of "inside the block" problem...like your cam or rods. Squealing noise = Belt is getting dripped on or wet during driving (something is leaking), Bearings in a belt pulley are worn or damaged, Brake pad constantly rubbing against rotor. let me know what it sounds like and i might be able to explain more.

Dave Kasprick
45

To find out if it is a wheel bearing, drive down the road at highway speed and do some hard slaloms, if the noise changes its most likely a wheel bearing.

teetermots
10

when does it happen? Could be CV joints. I've heard of the following test: You'll here a clicking noise on the right or left side (or both if both are bad) In a parking lot or someplace similar, crank the wheel full left and drive in a circle. Clicking? Crank it full right and repeat. Clicking indicates worn out CV joints.

Joshua Harrold
185

if it is a wheel bearing slaloming will determine side, unloaded bearings(the side you turn to) make noise, hondas are easy to do bearings on provided you have a press. brake noise is easy grinding metal on metal. trans is harder, just take it to a speciality place if the others don't help.