why can not get out of park and no brake lights

raymondb
0

Asked by raymondb Sep 24, 2010 at 11:11 AM about the 2001 Ford Taurus SE

car will run but will not come out of park and there are no brake lights. Could it be be stop lamp switch or gem module

B Rock Yates
55

I had the same problem with my 2000 Tuarus and it turned ou tto be a broken wire under the dash. Its part of the safety system that will not allow you to drive the car without brake lights. It can be defeated by getting the car in neautral before starting it. Hope this helps

raymondb
0

for some odd reason that never came to mind. i surely do appreciate your input. driving me nuts. will let you know how it turns out. THANKS

B Rock Yates
55

No problem...glad to help...the wire that was broken in my case was close ot the steering column...where it goes intot he firewall.....

fordtech57
1,115

the broken wire Brock is talking about is at the brake switch connector under dash