My 2002 Honda Passport has a problem going into 4 WD.

lvhs
5

Asked by lvhs Jun 17, 2013 at 08:40 AM about the 2002 Honda Passport 4 Dr EX 4WD SUV

My 2002 Honda Passport has a problem going into 4 WD.  When I engage the 4 WD dash button it blinks constantly, meaning it is not in 4 WD drive. At times the green light will will stay solid, meaning it is in 4 WD. I’ve had this vehicle to a garage and they knew nothing about it. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

68,705

From a similar question on Edmunds....."I assume you have tried both 4WD lo and high at different speeds as the 4WD will not engage at certain speeds. The first thing to check are the vacuum hoses for cracks and/or loose connections. They are located by the front axle, just off to the passenger side of the axle. There's a vacuum controlled solenoid on the front axle that engages the front axle when you select 4WD. This is driven by a vacuum canister that is located down there as well. This vacuum is created and stored in this canister from the engine while driving. It tends to retain enough vacuum for about 9-12 hours to allow you to engage 4WD before needing to turn the engine on to build up the vacuum. If the hoses which supply the vacuum are ruptured or disconnected, or the solenoid jams up internally, it won't engage and trip the contacts which lock that light on. You can also tell that the vacuum is working when you turn the Ignition on when starting. The light keeps flashing until enough vacuum is created in the canaster before turning off."