Odyssey makes a loud "humming" noise at higher speeds

SadieSam
0

Asked by SadieSam Sep 11, 2009 at 05:05 PM about the 2002 Honda Odyssey EX

When driving our 02 Odyssey over 40-45 mph, it develops a loud "humming noise which goes away as the car slows to under 40 mph.  We have had repair shops look it over and to know avail.  It's loud enough that it's hard to hear on the phone, the radio and even other passengers.  It's definitely coming from the driver's side of the vehicle.  

Tom Le
575

tires can be the cause. if you have replaced that tire recently... switch the right tire to the left and see if the sound transfer.

AKr
20

I have had the exact same problem in my 02 Odyssey. It started happening after I bought new tires. So I rotated the tires and the noise shifted a little bit but now seems to be back at the driver's side of the vehicle. Tried using a spare to isolate the bad tire but to no avail. Other forums seem to indicate maybe a bad bearing but my mechanic said he didn't think so as the noise intensity didn't change while switching lanes. Does anyone know what it could be?

michaeldude
20

I have the same problem with my 2005 Odyssey Touring. It started more than a couple of years ago. I thought it was just the tires while driving at a higher speed. But it is now intermittent at 2-5 seconds interval. My sister drove the van last week and she noticed the humming/droning sound that comes with a little vibration on the gas pedal and suggested to take it to the shop to check it. But as I read the comments posted on the web, dozens have the same problem and Honda dealers could not even pin point what causes it. My vand has only over 35K miles as I use it for family travel and not for everyday trip.

rlsteiner
10

I have the same problem with my 2008 EXL, however I have just replaced the tires and now the brakes. With each repair, the sound changed and got a little quiter, but it is still their. The hum appears to coinside with the speed of the output shaft adn not the engine. I was worried about a bearing, but all the fits are tight as expected. There is obviously some kind of imbalance in the system somewhere, but it is near impossible to find.

Riverfish
20

It is the wheel bearing we had the same humming sound in our 2005 honda odyssey EXL once it was replaced it ran like a champ. It also got louder above 40 mph. Hope this will help. My mechanic also said that the bearing was good but when I actually took the bearing out myself I noticed immediately that there was a problem. Also when it was replaced problem fixed without a doubt.