Vibration at idle

ianhillsman1
5

Asked by ianhillsman1 Jul 12, 2009 at 01:56 PM about the 2002 Honda Accord LX

My 2002 Accord 2.3 VTEC A/T has an unpleasant vibration at idle with the car in gear and my foot on the brake. The vibration comes right through the steering wheel and is worse when the a/c compressor cycles on. Also, turning on the lights and putting a load on the alt makes the vibration worse. I have replaced the lower front motor mount directly behind the radiator. If I gently rest my foot on the gas pedal and raise the RPM's to just under 1000 things smooth out. My idle seems to hover around 750 rpm. What is the correct idle speed and can it be adjusted? Any other ideas as to how to eliminate this vibration?

Kevin Steinhardt
45

it could be a worn out motor mount.

Adams48_
0

I have the same problem, please help

Mike Zaba
645

When was the last time you did a tune up? Sounds like you may have a misfire. You can spray the spark plug wires with water and observe them. You may see sparks jumping from the wire to any ground. I would start there. It could also be an injector but i havent seen too many go bad on hondas.

Adams48_
0

I have replaced the timing belt, plugs, motor mounts, but not the wires

Mike Zaba
645

check the wires. Im not sure whether it has a distributor cap and rotor or coil pack. if its cap and rotor replace them too. If its coil pack pull the wires off and check for corrosion. If there is corrosion build up on the terminals replace as well. Good luck

phoenix60
10

If your car has new motor mounts and idles smooth without a/c you do not need a tuneup . It has to do with the load of the a/c on a weak 4 cylinder engine . Sould have had a v6.

Tammysr
0

I have the same problem with a 2009 Accord with 32000 miles. It rode smooth for the first 3 or 4 months then the vibration started. So it is not the weak 4 cylinder engine. Dealership cannot figure it out. Honda America has definitely heard of the problem but until enough people complain they will not put out a bulletin. So I'll be complaining.

junior14371
0

It is that top engine mount close to the power steering fluid bottle.