Coolant Loss

ianhillsman1
5

Asked by ianhillsman1 Jul 12, 2009 at 01:34 PM about the 2002 Honda Accord LX

I have a 2002 Accord LX 2.3 VETEC with 86K. I am losing coolant, but don't see any leaks. I have replaced the radiator, which was starting to seep at the upper tank. I also replaced the upper and lower hoses and two of the small water hoses that carry coolant to and from the throttle body. I also replaced the rad. cap, the thermostat and gasket. I don't see any white smoke from the exhaust, the car runs fine. The coolant reservoir does not leak, yet every time I fill up with gas I check the coolant reservoir and it is empty, which works out to be about every 350 miles. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas?

Stewart Carter
15

Check the transmission fluid for coolant contanination. The radiator might be leaking coolant into the transmission fluid.

ianhillsman1
5

Thanks, I had checked that before I changed the radiator and again afterward. The radiator had been seeping a bit from where the crimps secure the upper plastic tank, but there is no indication of coolant seepage into the trans fluid or the engine oil.

Stewart Carter
15

remove the spark plugs and check to see if they're wet with coolant.

ianhillsman1
5

Thanks! I'll give it a try. At this point I'm open to all suggestions!

A Facebook user
25

fluids don't disappear. it could either be leaking from your head gasket into your combustion chamber where it is burning. or it could be leaking into the oil. so when you are at wide open throttle there is no smoke coming out? have you had someone look behind you while you try it? does under your hood smell? kinda a sweet smell? what i would do is i would pressurized your cooling system see if its holding pressure.

Steve Hayes
155

I own the same car as you wit bout 10,000 miles less. I would check the oil and see if its a milky color. But i really cant see the head gasket goin bad at 85k miles. Otherwise go 2 a trusted mechanic of yours and have them pressure test it. Or if ur mechnically inclined buy yourself a pressure test kit and look for leaks.

A Facebook user
25

if you are mechanically inclined you could do a compression test. then a cylinder leak down test.

noodleterp
60

I have a 96 accord 4dr and im also losing radiator coolant without any obvious leaks. I do detect a burning/sweet smell from my under the hood every so often. what coukd this possibly mean??? please help