2002 Accord Stuck In Park

johnsalisbury
35

Asked by johnsalisbury Jul 17, 2007 at 01:48 AM about the 2002 Honda Accord LX

I can use the Shift Lock Release button to get the car out of park, but it gets stuck again when I park the car.  The brake lights are also not working.  I saw another post with the same problem posted, but no root cause. Thanks.  jdsalisbury@yahoo.com

Rick_K
75

John - I've just experienced the same problem with my '02 Accord LX this past week. As a matter of fact, I didn't realize the brake lights were not working until I after reading your post. The car has 112K and this is the first problem I've really had.

Rick_K
75

John - it was the brake light switch that caused both problems. $34.27 for a new switch from the local Honda dealer and the issue is over.

Best Answer
Penny Mason
20

Had same problem with 2005 Accord. Turned out to be a bad brake lite fuse. $5.00 fix. Amazing, immediately was able to get car out of park and had brake lights as well.

You think this is helpful.
johnsalisbury
35

That sneaky little release button kept getting stuck but it was very intermittent. Had to keep a little screwdriver handy to press the button, which is hidden under the rubber boot that surrounds the emergency brake handle.

johnsalisbury
35

Thanks to all and others please keep posting answers you find to help out others. I really believe these cars willbbecome classics. When I was in Puerto Rico in 2004 literally 25% of drivers in the company parking lot were these cars!