What engine oil?

Kiwi59
20

Asked by Kiwi59 Jun 23, 2008 at 11:02 PM about the 2002 Honda Accord EX V6

The mechanic put 10W-30 oil in the car last time. I read in the handbook it should be 5W-20. What oil should be used in Central Iowa?

Also when it comes to the radiator and the Automatic Transmission should the mechanic be using Honda products? The radiator makes me nervous, usually mechanics will put in the Honda conditioner. Where I live they think anything but Honda is good enough!

Steven Phillips
175

the weight of the oil you put in your engine all depends on how many miles you have on the odometer, since you have a honda i would recommend 5w-30 synthetic oil, it helps prolong the engines life, and yes they usually service your car with honda certified products, especially the transmission.

Adam Morgan
3,995

I believe 01+ Honda's have a special additive that is suppose to be in the ATF... Some shops have a bottle of converter that's suppose to make ATF+3 compatible with it... Honestly I don't know the specifics. This is one of those things where the boss/computer said car x got additive and I just did what I was told without thinking about it. Can't remember at the moment if it was Hondas or another maker, but there are a couple of people here who are Honda techs, hopefully they can either say I'm wrong or give rhyme to the reason. As for the oil you should keep with the manufacturer recommend oil until the rings have worn, to where it starts to burn oil, before you start jumping up weights. Some will say do it at 50k, others 75k, others still will say never go against the recommendation. It's kinda a judgement call, but if you keep up on the changes it should never become an issue. On another page in your manual it'll likely have a chart telling you what weight oil to use at various temperatures, which will take care of your Iowa specific question. If you have your manual, you should already have all the information you need. Should tell you lubricant types and specify what manufacturer requirements are needed.

papa

10 w 30 is fine wont hurt a thing,i belive the only car made to use it,s own brand of atf is chrystler,dextron is for use in all makes of todays cars.

John Navert
160

Nope. On Hondas you want to use the dealer atf and power steering fluid or one marked as meeting the specs. Honda uses a different mix of friction modifiers in their atf and power steering fluids.

Steven Phillips
175

since your cars newer stick with whatever is in the handbook, its the specific details of what your car is supposed to be running with, to keep it running up to par.

David Marthenze
195

Hello, I would not use the 10W30 oil. The car is designed to use 5W20. Also, be careful adding and changing coolant. If you have the extended life, or 100,000 mile coolant (it is usually red or clean, not green), then you need to continue to use the extended life. The green coolant is highly corosive to aluminum, which your radiator and engine is made of. Dave

Aaron Salsbury
855

let me prface this with i am in service in a Honda dealer in Kansas. yes use Honda ATF, Power steering fluid and coolant they all have additives in them and they are more than good enough... the oil is not a big deal but i would stick with th 5W-20... also the coolant you have in your car is a long life coolant good for 105k change it when you change your timing belt and water pump.

Best Answer
Kiwi59
20

Thank you everyone, although lots of differing opinions I'm inclined to go with Aaron. This is a 2002 SW 6cyl and has done 70,000 miles. Have owned two other Honda Accords and a Civic but in NZ and every mechanic we had alwas bought the Honda certified oils, coolants and water conditioner for radiator. American dealers here in Iowa don't appear interested in following the manufacturers recommendations and just put the equivalent. However I did notice the difference in oil and it all worries me that not following directions. Just want to keep this car the same way as my others have been kept and they just kept on going for a long time without problems.

ShelbyBob
30

Honda and Acura engines are machined at very tight tolerances.This is one of the reasons they are known for their longevity and are legendary for their ability to accumulate high mileage over the vehicle’s lifetime. It is extremely important to always have adequate lubrication. If you have a Honda or Acura that calls for 5w20, then only use 5w20 motor oil. It doesn’t matter what your hot-rodder buddy says about 5w20 being too thin. He isn’t a Honda Engineer. If you choose to use 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, or 20w50 “racing oil”, in a Honda or Acura that calls for 5w20, you will literally starve the internal engine parts of adequate lubrication.

Ryan Davis
0

my 1999 Honda civic whats to die when idling up hill what could be the problem?

Sophia Eva
0

if your car's manual says to use 5w20 synthetic old then use 5w20 synthetic oil. especially if u have 8th+ gen honda. it may cost u a few more extra bucks for an oil change but will save u thousands of dollars from repairing a broken down engine. what's the more logical choice?