Honda Accord Lug nut studs

Trebor66
575

Asked by Trebor66 Aug 16, 2013 at 01:45 PM about the 2003 Honda Accord LX

2003 Accord Lx  Is there an easier way to  replace broken studs other than removing the steering knuckle and drive shaft .Then pressing the drive hub out from its bearing.to gain access to the rear of the hub in order to install the replacements?

Fordtudor37
3,585

I would say nope, that's it.

Trebor66
575

Talked to my tire guy. There is a slot in the knuckle for this but, it's not quite deep enough. Solution ,grind down a flat on the new studs. Then dis assembly isn't required.

Fordtudor37
3,585

My question for your "Tire Guy" and yourself would be "When you grind down a slot on the new stud, Is the stud still structurally sound enough to support the designed application ?". I prefer not to use "short cuts" when I am talking safety.

Trebor66
575

Here's an up date.Currently in the middle of the job FYI there isn't enough clearance to remove the broken studs and Honda didn't put a slot in there casting. As far as safety why make studs out of such soft metal.

Trebor66
575

Another up date Tried using a hub puller Didn't work "pushed drive axle instead of pulling hub" Tried slide hammer with hub attachment still didn't move hub. Taking steering knuckle to work and put in vise, then drive out hub.