What if your car does not give a "code" when transmission is slipping ?

rogers2queens
0

Asked by rogers2queens Jul 08, 2013 at 09:51 AM about the 2004 Honda Pilot EX AWD

Short story - 2004 Honda Pilot, 102000 miles. Had the trans replaced just over one year.  Ever since then, intermittently, when I press on the gas the engine rev's but does not go anywhere.  The car is in Drive.  I put the car in "N" or "P" then back in "D" then the trans catches.  Every time I have taken it back to the trans place, the car never acts up for them and when they connect car to scanner no codes are pulled.    I finally talked them into letting me take the car scanner, I connected it, the car "slipped" for me but no codes came up.  HELP!!!  I did check for a trans recall, but of course my VIN is not on the list.

DavidH25

Recall ID # 62644 - POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Recall Date APR 15, 2004 Component POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION Model Affected Pilot Potential Units Affected 1099796

DavidH25

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2004/honda/pilot/recalls/

rogers2queens
0

Thanks for the link, my vin number is not listed - any other suggestions as to why "no code" would come up for this trans problem? (If it is a trans problem - I was told it could be the TCM....

rogers2queens
0

The trans place offered to replace the torque converter - should I take him up on it? Thanks

DavidH25

Sorry, I'm stumped ..after looking at some forums...came up empty. When you say 'offered' do you mean free? I can't imagine why a non ~dealer would do that...something is wrong with that picture. Nobody does free work

rogers2queens
0

Thank you for getting back to me. He offered to put in the torque converter for the cost of the part. Which he told me it was a couple of hundred. I think because I have been bugging him for over a year and he knew that I would not let it go that he finally relented and said he would replace the converter because that was the only thing he could think of that it could be. Other than the TCM - trans control module But why would no codes come up? I do not think it is a coincidence that I started having this problem shortly after the trans was re-built - do you? I have searched and searched the forums also and have come up with nothing.

DavidH25

Yes, I agree...not a coincidence. And that makes sense, he is trying his best to make it right, that is a good reputation builder gesture. And it may be the scanner it self....they run from $50 to $2000 and everywhere in between, a cheap OBD reader might just not pick up in it

rogers2queens
0

Thank you!! He really is a decent guy. I think I am going to have him replace the torque converter. Hopefully he will not fight me on it because there is no code.

jkaline
0

I have this same problem but I did have a code for the power sensor which was replaced. The car ran great for 3 weeks now it is doing it again. Did you find anything out on your and why it is doing it?