what happens to your car when you need a new alternator

lbsash
0

Asked by lbsash Jan 14, 2013 at 01:03 PM about the 2004 Honda Civic LX

my car shut off while I was driving and then started back up and shut off again a few minutes later.

62,495

If your battery had enough power to start your engine, your bad alternator did not cause it to shut down. The battery would have kept the engine running and the red battery indicator light would have lit up on the dash board. Go to the parts store and they can scan your ECU for codes and test your alternator.

Ronc258
3,670

Your lights and stuff will be dim. The battery light would come on or if it is a gauge it will show in the negative side of chargeing should be around 14 to 14.5 volts when chargeing

2,605

could also be a sign of a bad battery...my 07 accord did this a few times while i was driving...kind of scary when you're going 70 and your car shuts off...i found out the battery was bad when i got my car inspected...replaced the battery and haven't had an issue since

jqd5588
15

Take the positive battery post off the battery if it runs without it it's not the alternator