2004 honda accord 4cyl EX does not want to start in temps lower than 30 degrees

RGD
0

Asked by RGD Mar 18, 2012 at 05:03 PM about the 2004 Honda Accord EX

Car is sluggish to turn over and start at temps between 20-30 degrees, very slow to start at temps between 0-20 degrees, will not start most of time if temps are below 0 degrees.  Radiator is set for coldest temps, battery is good, I put heet in the fuel during cold months.  Not able to garage and the car is parked over two miles away from house where it could be plugged in with a block heater.(I snowmobile in and out of my house.)  Is this just something I have to accept about this car or is there a fix for it.  Thanks alot for your time.

Paul Matthews
1,815

Check your battery output and if not a sealed unit check the level of the electrolite. Also at those temps your engine oil is another significant factor check that the oil has a low 'winter grade' Your vehicle should be able to cope with cold temperatures of around 0 degrees centigrade without any trouble. If the battery is good, then remove and lubricate the starter motor as this may be sluggish due to debris / dust build up. Finally check the coolant temperature sensor is working correctly as if it is registering the temperature of the coolant incorectly it will effect the 'cold start' fuel mixture.

Best Answer