how do i know if the factory amps are blown?

tejoe
5

Asked by tejoe Feb 27, 2013 at 05:27 PM about the 2001 Ford Mustang Base

I notice when i play music in my(factory cd player) its sounds as if there is no bass response from the rear or front speakers..I checked all the fuses both (under the dash and under the hood_...All appear to be good...I unplugged the amp(s) in the trunk and the speakers sound the same...please help

judge_roy

there will be an inline fuse on the power to the unit. Check if this one's blown, your amp will need service.

judge_roy

not the same as the fuse in the fuse panel, this one's loose as it goes into the unit-

scttyc
275

Did you check the speakers.the speakers are probably blown.I would try them first before doing anything with amp.either way the sound will be a lot better with after market speakers. Then if it doesn't change the sound then goto the amp. I would just put a new amp in ..they have more power than stock and you can adjust them to your music.it will be cheaper than having someone troublecheck and fix it. Depending where you go and name brand you get you can get. an amp,speakers and even a sub installed for $200-300. The sound quality and volume will be a huge difference

judge_roy

well tejoe, sadly sounds like your speakers are blown....replace, as far as the 'inline fuse' goes have yet to meet an amplifier that did not have a little fuse holder with a little fuse at the power not six inches from the back of the unit. that's the one I's suspectin'

Joe Liotine
5

If its only the CD player that sounds bad, then it's you CD player. I had a similar issue on my 2003 and ended up replacing the head unit. You can also pick up a used amp on eBay fairly inexpensivly and hook them up. It's pretty simple.