EGR valve exploded

txbasshound
320

Asked by Jan 11, 2012 at 03:40 PM about the 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

Has anyone ever seen a EGR valve body blow apart?

NO,not unless it was defective from the factory,or it had been removed in the past and cracked.on removal or reinstalation.

txbasshound
320

something is causing a pressure build up to make it explode. Put a new one on yesterday, my daughter drove it about 4 miles and it blew a hole in the new one in the exact same place.

Timothy McKenney
35

I had one explode a while ago, a few days after, the next one blew up but the third one was a charm....like 100k ago lol..

the egr controls some of the idel,no real pressure in it,I would say defective lot # from supplyer,try a independent parts dealer,they have better qulaity parts.

Ryan Nierman
410

You have clogged catalytic converters. If you had a check engine light on it was probably for a cylinder misfire. The 3.0L V6 engines have problems with the C.O.Ps (Coil On Plugs). When the spark plug doesn't fire it dumps unburnt gas into the exhaust system, eventually clogging the converters. The Escapes have 3 catalytic converters. The upper 2 converters and the coils are both expensive. You can do what I did. Take it to an exhaust shop that you know well, have them cut and hollow out the cats, and buy 2 little devices called "mini cat"s sold by Big Daddys Garage. These trick the computer into thinking there is a converter there. They go in between the O2 sensor and the exhaust. I run this on a daily driver! Buy yourself a "universal" catalytic converter for the lower (rear) cat so your vehicle is still environmentally friendly! Good luck friends.

jpickel37620
80

i have the 2002 escape with the 3.0 v-6 and i blew the side out of my egr as well i've had the upstream cats gutted withan intact one downstream. this fixed the problem for a while 3 weeks i think. now it is doing it again im chasing the cylinder misfire theory keep you guys updated if i can

Kevin Johnson
160

Its 3rd cat that is plugged my tribute (01 v6 ) blew the egr just like yours , i pulled the exhaust took out the junk , now she runs sweet lots of power . The front two cats dont usually clog , my clogg was due to faulty coil paks in the past

Angelo Cosentino
70

it exploded because one or more of your catalytic converters is clogged up. the pressure built from the exhaust has no where else to go but the exhaust gas recirculation valve. I experienced this same thing, erg exploded, had to change two cats.

Tyrone Walker
0

if you remove it and cleaned it with the wrong solution that can be another cause for it to explode

Thegoodperson
40

Angelo, what two cats did you change and how much did it cost you?

Andrew Fuller
20

where do I get these mini cats from????

Toolmaster1974
70

this all sounds ridiculous for 1 if the cats where blocked up to that point then the engine wouldn't run for that to happen. I do know that they do blow out which is strange but even still if it was a decently made part that would never happen. I don't buy the exhaust idea because the one I saw wasn't hooked up where the pipe screws into the EGR valve so pressure could not have built up. however something is causing this and I will try and find out what so I can give people GOOD advice. that is legal toolmaster

Joemick14
0

My cat. converters have been a problem even after replacing two of them. Engine light has been on and off for years. Finally the ERG valve blew out, exactly like the one pictured. Replaced it and the new one blew out in the same way on the way home from the garage. Not sure what to do now. car has 168K miles on it and don't want to put out for new cat converters. But no doubt the problems are related.