EGR valve exploded

txbasshound
130

Asked by txbasshound Jan 11, 2012 at 03:40 PM about the 2001 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

Has anyone ever seen a EGR valve body blow apart?

papa

NO,not unless it was defective from the factory,or it had been removed in the past and cracked.on removal or reinstalation.

txbasshound
130

something is causing a pressure build up to make it explode. Put a new one on yesterday, my daughter drove it about 4 miles and it blew a hole in the new one in the exact same place.

Timothy McKenney
15

I had one explode a while ago, a few days after, the next one blew up but the third one was a charm....like 100k ago lol..

papa

the egr controls some of the idel,no real pressure in it,I would say defective lot # from supplyer,try a independent parts dealer,they have better qulaity parts.

Ryan Nierman
220

You have clogged catalytic converters. If you had a check engine light on it was probably for a cylinder misfire. The 3.0L V6 engines have problems with the C.O.Ps (Coil On Plugs). When the spark plug doesn't fire it dumps unburnt gas into the exhaust system, eventually clogging the converters. The Escapes have 3 catalytic converters. The upper 2 converters and the coils are both expensive. You can do what I did. Take it to an exhaust shop that you know well, have them cut and hollow out the cats, and buy 2 little devices called "mini cat"s sold by Big Daddys Garage. These trick the computer into thinking there is a converter there. They go in between the O2 sensor and the exhaust. I run this on a daily driver! Buy yourself a "universal" catalytic converter for the lower (rear) cat so your vehicle is still environmentally friendly! Good luck friends.

jpickel37620
70

i have the 2002 escape with the 3.0 v-6 and i blew the side out of my egr as well i've had the upstream cats gutted withan intact one downstream. this fixed the problem for a while 3 weeks i think. now it is doing it again im chasing the cylinder misfire theory keep you guys updated if i can

Kevin Johnson
100

Its 3rd cat that is plugged my tribute (01 v6 ) blew the egr just like yours , i pulled the exhaust took out the junk , now she runs sweet lots of power . The front two cats dont usually clog , my clogg was due to faulty coil paks in the past

Angelo Cosentino
10

it exploded because one or more of your catalytic converters is clogged up. the pressure built from the exhaust has no where else to go but the exhaust gas recirculation valve. I experienced this same thing, erg exploded, had to change two cats.