If the rear drive shaft was not in good condition, what is the clue and can it effect the tyre tread.

Asked by syedsham_70 Aug 19, 2014 at 09:47 PM about the 1998 BMW 5 Series 523i

slightly sound and unsmooth feeling from static condition to next move. when already speeding, everything comes normal feeling. There are sign of leaking oil at both rear drive shaft. There is a big hole seen at the rubber cover of the drive shaft.

No it should not affect tire wear,but that said sound,s like u joints may be bad,and needing replacing if you feel vibration,and loosing oil from them is sure sign of needing replaced.

Best Answer

Thank for the answer. I would like to say that my English is not so good. Hoping that u will be understand what I'm written about. The sound and vibration appeared quiet for sometimes. Recently, I just changed a new tire of the left rear. it has been badly damaged on the inner upper side. One of the mechanic said that it is because of coupling's problem . Anyway, they are checking my car today. Are there also a drive shaft at the front.

No only rear drive shaft in your car.

And you are welcome.

Scott Robson

You probably should get a proper wheel alignment after you figure out what bushings or hardware is busted. Look at thrust arm bushings, loose and incorrectly adjusted tie rod ends, and get your mechanic to check all other bushings and ball joints while you are at it.

Good morning. Yesterday I went to the mechanic. According to him, the left drive shaft was not in good condition. There was a loose movement between drive shaft and tire. I tested myself by rolling the tire, there are proof that the drive shaft was moving but not follow by the tire for some moment. Beside that, I tested at the right side, both drive shaft and tire move parallels. According to him, this shows that the left side was fault and the right side was normal. Secondly, there was a loose at the long shaft joint and needs to be replace. What is your opinion.

Yes replace the u joint,if there is play in it,

TQ. Can my car fitted with ngv gas. I would like to know about BMW X3. It's fuel consumption and maintenance compare to my car. Which is more reliable and save.

I'm waiting from your answer. My car has been repaired and doing well now. My car was repaired by another mechanic. Actually the thing is the mounting coupling of the long shaft. After changed it, there is no more vibration. It cost me only about RM 300. There is no needs to change the drive shaft until it is really making noise according to him. I'm just lucky because I didn't follow the first mechanic. He told me to change the long shaft which will cost me RM650 before labor charge and the drive shaft.