Rear seat/belts in99 GMC Jimmy

grr2012
0

Asked by grr2012 Mar 03, 2013 at 07:23 PM about the 1999 GMC Jimmy 2 Dr SL SUV

My husband recently purchased a used  99 GMC Jimmy. We have 3 children,
however the rear seat only has 2 seat belts. How do we go about either changing
out the seat or adding a 3rd seatbelt

Michael Tutty
4,355

It may be that the 2-door is only rated as a 4 passenger vehicle, in which case, you are out of luck legally. Otherwise, get the centre lap belt from a 4 door, or you can buy one new, either from G.M. or aftermarket, and mount it. The factory mount would double up the centre belt ends with the inboard ends of the existing belts. You need a Torx T-50 to undo and resecure the mounting bolts.

82,655

Michaels suggestion would work, but in my opinion, I personally wouldn't be using a lap belt strapping a child in the back seat unless you were using it for a car seat. A 3 point lap belt at a min., and I'm sure you can't do that with your current vehicle.

Michael Tutty
4,355

There is no upper mount fr a shoulder strap in the GMC Jimmy or the Chevy Blazer. The problem is that legally, these vehicles are trucks, not cars, and so have to meet the truck safety standards, NOT the car standards, which are quite a bit more stringent. If your Jimmy is the 4-door, it should have 3 belts in the back seat. The lap belt may well have fallen under the cushion while the seat back was being folder and set back up over the years.