2014 Santa Fe 2.0T check engine light came on at 8000 miles, dealership says cylinder 3 misfire code and is probably a result of cheap gas. Anyone have similar issue or are they feeding me a line. I have seen others people seeking similar info on cylinder 3 misfires when I do a google search, although they are asking about earlier models and don't find many answers. Any thoughts?

Ramsfan
50

Asked by Ramsfan Jul 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM about the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T Sport AWD

Dealership says cylinder 3 misfire code and is probably a result of cheap gas. Anyone
have similar issue or are they feeding me a line. I have seen others people seeking
similar info on cylinder 3 misfires when I do a google search, although they are asking
about earlier models and don't find many answers. Any thoughts?

T_S_T
31,345

Yes,i would let them run compression check on all cylinder,s cause something like a valve is a little off,if it randomly misfire,s,just my thoughts. Good luck with it.

T_S_T
31,345

I think the head cylinder,s on a lot of these were bad from the get go.But will Hyunda admit it?

Ramsfan
50

Thanks, that stinks. Love the suv but really unhappy that it's in the shop at only 8k miles. the guy did say compression error or signal, but again stated its probably the fuel. They are keeping it over night to consult with Hyundai service consultant tomorrow morning.

Ramsfan
50

Round 2, well 800 miles later the engine light came back on again. Is anyone else having similar problems with 2014's?

RB_SF14
45

I purchased my 2014 Santa Fe 2.0T in Feb. First rec'd report of engine control module problem via Bluelink monthly rpt in May (1500mi). Next had ck engine light appear in June (cyl 2) (1700mi). Took for service. Coil pack adjusted. Had ck engine light again in July (cyls 2, 3 and "multiple" misfires) (2200mi). In service now for nearly a month. Awaiting cylinder head replacement due to defect (in casting). There must be others out there with this defect. My build date was Jan. 2014, I think. My husband understands this stuff much better than I, but I am certainly heartbroken! Love the car, but very frustrated.

Ramsfan
50

Yes it is. After second time at shop, they had a regional rep come down and entered a "computer update" to see if that would fix problem. I feel like they just turned off the check engine light because it still runs rough. Mine was built August 2013.

RB_SF14
45

I did not have rough ride, but few times some lag on acceleration. No real performance issues - just the misfire codes. Initially, I think a computer issue was considered. Srvc said they moved everything around to see if the prob would follow and it did not, so they suspected the head. They consulted tech line, and reg rep came out with scope to confirm. The first new head rec'd had the same defect (which is why I assume there are others out there w/the same issue); they are currently installing another, which apparently is ok. I saw pics of the head - a couple of the openings for fuel injectors (?) were misshapen, so more egg-shaped than round.

roxytico
10

My 2013 turbo sport is in the shop for the second time for engine issues. The first time after they fixed the piston issue, the shop made no mention of upgrading what kind of gas we should use. This time, at about 20k miles, the first thing the mechanic said was we need to be using chevron 91 or 94 only. They can't seem to determine what the problem is and why the check engine light is on. It has been over a week, and the cylinder head has been sent back to a hyundai factory for testing. Extremely frustrated, want to love this car, but maybe trading in is worth consideration. Unfortunately, I don't know how any of that works.

Treavie
10

I have had engine light come on numerous times. It is due to vapor lock and remidied by removing gas cap and replacing. Usually clears after driving 20-25 miles. Seems that it was happening when i tried to get as much gas in tank as possible. I now stop as soon as gas pump clicks. It is much better, but still happens occassionally. Spoke with service guy last time and he never heard of vapor lock, not impressed.

HelpF
20

I'm also having engine light problems with my 2014 Santa Fe Sport. Took it to in and it took a while for them to find the problem. They said that a rock hit the protection panel where the engine light system is located and now I need a new part and of course it is not covered by the warranty as it was caused by an outside influence.???? Any thoughts...

Ramsfan
50

I got tired of the dealership I was working with, tried to push lemon law and they denied because I purchased it used as it was a lease return with only 2.5K miles. Even though it was certified by them and still had a full transferable warranty. So, I took it to a competitor about 60 miles away and traded it in for another 2014. Same model only different color and had only 4 miles on it. They actually gave me a great deal and didn't loose any money. They said they would do anything to take a customer from a competitor. Just hope I don't have same issue, really love the car. Wish you luck with it, sounds like they are scamming you. They give you a photo of the "rock" damage? Suggest getting second opinion from another hyndai dealership.

Krista Adams
0

I am having this problem as well. Happened on the afternoon AFTER I had a starter problem in the morning. Not sure if i didn't press down hard enough on brake and button at the same time but the car switched off. then tried to restart--but seeing as how I am still not used to this button pushing bizness--I didn't go all the way back to off until the third try. Then it started with a chug-chug (had flooded the engine??) Engine light was on during this process but I figured it was because I messed up. Later that day, the engine light went on while driving and bluelink started running and said I had a problem. Took it in that afternoon and three days later, still no answer. It's a 2014 bought in August...about 4K on it. Under full warranty so fingers crossed. Like others here, I love the car but am worried. They did ask how I felt my fuel efficiency had been. Crappy, actually. The one thing I was disappointed in with the car. Never owned an SUV before. Figured it was just a gas hog.

HelpF
20

Just got my est to fix the canister close valve of my new 2014 Santa Fe that was hit by a rock so not under warranty (how nice) The cost will be canister valve is $327.27 and the labour is $87.50 so I'm looking at $414.77 + tax + fees-total cost will probably be just under $500.00. You would think they would have put that valve in a more protective spot. Have a nice day-Help F

Gabriel Narvaez
20

I had the check engine light come on 2/13/2015 with 15,385 miles on my 2014 Santa Fe Sport 2.0; Dealer said it was cylinder 3 misfire code. I dropped it off at 12:45 pm EST. They performed an oil change an annual NYS inspection and an update to the car's computer eliminating the check engine light. All that done in two hours in time to pick up my kindergartner from school. I hope that solves the issue as I read other posts stating the issue arose after 800 or so miles.

HelpF
20

Here is the Ans I received 6854 Canister Close Valve was hit (Rock) and dislodged scanned for codes// codes found--P0455: evaporative emissions system leak detected//checked for update /// found tsb 13- 30-009.. atempted to updateecu- no updates found (update # is different then current ROM ID# /// will open hytac case for diagnosis// cleared codes /// after further inspection found CANISTER CLOSE VALVE was hit underneath vehicle, dislodging it from charcoal canister. The only thing I understand is that it will cost me $500.00 to fix as it is NOT UNDER WARRANTY due to the ROCK>hitting it.. Nothing about Gas. Just plastic cover to protect that important part!!!!

You think this is helpful.
dwp512
0

I've had my check engine light come on now for the 3rd time in 4 months; it has 11,000 miles. They replaced the fuel injectors which they said was the intitial problem. It's now on again, taking it back this Friday.