2014 Santa Fe 2.0T check engine light came on at 8000 miles, dealership says cylinder 3 misfire code and is probably a result of cheap gas. Anyone have similar issue or are they feeding me a line. I have seen others people seeking similar info on cylinder 3 misfires when I do a google search, although they are asking about earlier models and don't find many answers. Any thoughts?

Ramsfan
10

Asked by Ramsfan Jul 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM about the 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T Sport AWD

Dealership says cylinder 3 misfire code and is probably a result of cheap gas. Anyone
have similar issue or are they feeding me a line. I have seen others people seeking
similar info on cylinder 3 misfires when I do a google search, although they are asking
about earlier models and don't find many answers. Any thoughts?

T_S_T
23,435

Yes,i would let them run compression check on all cylinder,s cause something like a valve is a little off,if it randomly misfire,s,just my thoughts. Good luck with it.

T_S_T
23,435

I think the head cylinder,s on a lot of these were bad from the get go.But will Hyunda admit it?

Ramsfan
10

Thanks, that stinks. Love the suv but really unhappy that it's in the shop at only 8k miles. the guy did say compression error or signal, but again stated its probably the fuel. They are keeping it over night to consult with Hyundai service consultant tomorrow morning.

Ramsfan
10

Round 2, well 800 miles later the engine light came back on again. Is anyone else having similar problems with 2014's?

RB_SF14
45

I purchased my 2014 Santa Fe 2.0T in Feb. First rec'd report of engine control module problem via Bluelink monthly rpt in May (1500mi). Next had ck engine light appear in June (cyl 2) (1700mi). Took for service. Coil pack adjusted. Had ck engine light again in July (cyls 2, 3 and "multiple" misfires) (2200mi). In service now for nearly a month. Awaiting cylinder head replacement due to defect (in casting). There must be others out there with this defect. My build date was Jan. 2014, I think. My husband understands this stuff much better than I, but I am certainly heartbroken! Love the car, but very frustrated.

Ramsfan
10

Yes it is. After second time at shop, they had a regional rep come down and entered a "computer update" to see if that would fix problem. I feel like they just turned off the check engine light because it still runs rough. Mine was built August 2013.

RB_SF14
45

I did not have rough ride, but few times some lag on acceleration. No real performance issues - just the misfire codes. Initially, I think a computer issue was considered. Srvc said they moved everything around to see if the prob would follow and it did not, so they suspected the head. They consulted tech line, and reg rep came out with scope to confirm. The first new head rec'd had the same defect (which is why I assume there are others out there w/the same issue); they are currently installing another, which apparently is ok. I saw pics of the head - a couple of the openings for fuel injectors (?) were misshapen, so more egg-shaped than round.

roxytico
10

My 2013 turbo sport is in the shop for the second time for engine issues. The first time after they fixed the piston issue, the shop made no mention of upgrading what kind of gas we should use. This time, at about 20k miles, the first thing the mechanic said was we need to be using chevron 91 or 94 only. They can't seem to determine what the problem is and why the check engine light is on. It has been over a week, and the cylinder head has been sent back to a hyundai factory for testing. Extremely frustrated, want to love this car, but maybe trading in is worth consideration. Unfortunately, I don't know how any of that works.

Treavie
0

I have had engine light come on numerous times. It is due to vapor lock and remidied by removing gas cap and replacing. Usually clears after driving 20-25 miles. Seems that it was happening when i tried to get as much gas in tank as possible. I now stop as soon as gas pump clicks. It is much better, but still happens occassionally. Spoke with service guy last time and he never heard of vapor lock, not impressed.