2002 Excursion Won't Shift Out Of Park

StephenAdams
10

Asked by StephenAdams Oct 04, 2011 at 04:06 PM about the 2002 Ford Excursion XLT 4WD

Hello Everyone --

I have a 2002 Excursion with 43737 miles on it. It is having some electrical problems and a mechanical issue that has stumped me.

The electrical problem is that something keeps draining the battery.First, the front right passenger's door wouldn't open by remote key. Then all the doors failed to open (battery is okay). Then, the red light indication "door Ajar" would remain on either while the vehichle was running or off. Next, the battery would die in a week unless the Excursion was running to kep it charged. I checked each fuse circute with a friend on a volt meter monitoring the battery and found that fuse #34 to an idicator light (forgot which one) was doing it, so I thought. But after a week with the fuse being out, it bearly started, so it's something else as well. Now, I disconnect the battery.

The mechanical issue is new. The vehicle will readily start when the battery is reconnected, and with the engine running like a top, and with my foot on the break, it can't be shifted from park to any other gear.

For essentially what remains to be a new 2002 Excursion, I'm having problems I can't figure. The last thing I want to do is take it back to the nearby Ford dealer.

By the way, I called Ford Motor Company's customer service number. I expected to speak with an expert. After all, they built it. Not so...they referred me to my Ford dealer. Talk about insult to injury for a nearly $60K vehicle.

Does anyone have any thought on this or have experienced the same problems? I'd sure appreciate your thoughts.

I'll close by saying I love this vehicle. Wouldn't trade it for the world. I'm only sorry Ford ceased producting in 2005. Hopefully it wasn't due to the environmentalists.

Thanks,

Steve

Roger Toews
15

Not too up to speed with Fords but sounds like a lot of electrical issues so one could be related to the other. Crawl down on the floor and see if there is a push switch that could possibly be the problem with it not shifting out of park. It is strange though but there should be some sort of mechanical release to allow it to shift regardless of electrical power. Have you tried "googling" the problem?

StephenAdams
10

Good Morning Roger -- Thank you for replying. I have looked on Google and there was a great deal of information...overwhelming, actually. A lot of it seemed way outside my abilities. I haven't looked yet but I will search for a floor switch. I also read from someone else's similar situation that if the tail light bulb or fuse is burned out, the column will lock. The number 34 fuse I pulled (I forgot what it controls) to keep the battery from draining may affect that system. So your suggestion and determining whether the tail lights are operating seem to be the easiest things to do first. I hope I won't have to try to replace the solenoid that is activated by the brake light circuit. It will be my luck to have it all apart and not only not be the problem but also not be able to put it all back together. It was an all afternoon task just to figure out fuse number 34 circuit was the major drain on the battery, though I never found out the second source. With the economy in the tank and household money tight as it is, I'm hoping I won't have to go that route.

Dan Nash
225

Transmission selector leavers usually have a shift interlock built into them. It used to be a cable that runs from the brake pedal to the range leaver. It can be electricaly operated via solinoids and sensors like in the excursion. consult your local parts store for an alldata diagram to check for this type of problem. As for the rest of your electrical issues the only component invloved is the body control module. unless you have installed any other accessories, radar, stereo, alarm, starter. It could be any of thoes too. the easiest fix is to run a heavy duty battery disconnect switch. however this fix will reset your stereo, clock and any other memory dependant component every time you flick the switch.