my truck shakes at high-way speed. is it the tires? or could a rim be bent?

Donald Smith
0

Asked by Donald May 21, 2011 at 03:14 PM about the 2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4WD

a tire sales man balanced the tires. he says if it still shakes u have flatt spotts on the tire.

papa

could be any of what you posted,or a bad u joint in driveshaft.

Jon Romero
1,385

A failed u-joint will not cause the vehicle to shake in the manner you described. I would have a mechanic inspect the front steering and suspension components to verify they dont have undesired play in any joint causing uneven tire wear/shake. Even with a bent rim the wheel/tire assembly can most times be balanced to allow a smooth ride. Also, if the tire shop is reputable they should be able to perform a road force variance balance which would tell you if there is an underlying issue with the soundness of the tires. How much life is remaining?

papa

you are very wrong on the u joint.

Bobbi Josselyn

Kudos Jon, you were bright enough to realize that a u-joint problem isnt speed specific. Some people aren't that bright.

Jeff Leeper

A bad u joint makes a clunking sound when the car is put into gear while at a dead stop. drivetrain problems are not speed specific, they are consistent with engine RPM. Keep hanging in there, you'll learn all this someday.