Maintanence on a 2002 Subaru WRX

takeachance
0

Asked by takeachance Dec 17, 2012 at 12:37 AM about the 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Base

I recently purchased a 2002 Subaru WRX, it has 110k miles. As of right now it seems to run great but I am the type of person who would rather keep up on preventative maintenance rather than replace parts as they break. Is there anything I should do with it(anything I should replace or tune up or modify etc)? I've heard turbos are fairly hard on engines, when should I rebuild the engine. Also, I would someday like to upgrade the turbo, any thoughts on this subject (what kind, other modifications I would need to accommodate this, etc). Thanks!

68,035

Check with these guys, you can find some Impreza specific information.....http://www.subaru-impreza.org/forum/

Ryan Mesick
275

^^ Nice generic answer, no wonder you get so many points. Really helpful... As for your question, make sure it has had the 100k service done (tbelt, water pump, etc) and you should be golden. Check out NASIOC.com for some really good information, there are some very intuitive people on there. A full exhaust and a tune will give you a substantial increase in power, you may not ever need to change out the turbo unless you decide you want more power. My best advice is to head to the website I gave you and read read read. You can find the answer to just about any question you may have over there, because it has probably been asked before. Happy Modding.

Ben Owens
85

There was a recall on the 02 wrx's as well. It deals with the antifreeze container on top of the motor. I believe its the antifreeze, its been a while. Make sure all the recalls have been done. The recall can be done yourself, it takes about 20 minutes to do if it has not been done. In my opinion if you are going to upgrade the turbo you should do a rebuild to make it more reliable. Also the 02/03 wrx's are known to have "glass" transmissions so just be careful with that. Again if I remember correctly a lot of the newer 04-07 transmissions will fit that car.