What is the button to the right of the hazard button?

Mabelkay
20

Asked by Mabelkay Oct 06, 2013 at 08:32 AM about the 2014 Ford Escape Titanium

DavidH25

Owners manual. click on picture.. can see button but no can find info

Mabelkay
20

I have read the owners manual online. I am trying to help a friend who owns this new car and can't find the answer to the above question. There is a picture with a red arrow pointing at the button.

DavidH25

OK, sorry 'bout that I have wrong dashboard up. Looking.....

68,035

Hard to tell from the pic but what symbol is on the button?

Mabelkay
20

I'm sorry, it's not my car. I don't know what the symbol is....

DavidH25

close as I could find.. if the button has arrows pointing up with squiggly lines it's rear window defroster..can you make it out Tom?

DavidH25

But it seems to be in the audio/navigation area..? The defrosters are below

68,035

Your going to have to have your friend go through the owners manual while in the car. I looked through the 2014 owners manual and can't find a pic. But I agree with David, it's probably the rear defroster as I can see there is a yellow light that is activated but can't make out the symbol.

Mabelkay
20

Could it be the passenger side airbag indicator?

DavidH25

Me too Tom. I have spent the last..what? 20 minutes...looking at the 2014 Titanium OM. ..Push it! See what happens.. and yes it possibly could be the passenger air bag light. Run the car and have somebody sit in the passenger seat..then get out...see if it changes ..but it should be labeled as such

Mabelkay
20

No label and doesn't seem to be a "pushable" button. They are going to try your suggestion this afternoon.

Mabelkay
20

Here's a better picture. Close up.

Mabelkay
20

It's not the passenger side airbag indicator. It's also not a pushable button. Any other ideas?

DavidH25

I did find that exact image in the owners manual, Sony, 'source'..'sound'..and those two buttons and there are no indications of what they are..even the flashers. I tried!

DavidH25

Page 278 of owners manual there is a chart about 'parental lock' THAT IS a padlock symbol. the default factory code is 1234. Best of luck.

Mabelkay
20

Thank You for all your help.

68,035

Yeah for David!!!!!!

ebernard
0

I have this same question. Not knowing what that "button" is for is driving me crazy! I checked out page 278. If it is the parental lock, then there is no way to change it as it doesn't push at all. And there is no where to use the 1234 code. Help? Anybody?

Josh Webb
40

If it is a newer escape ( I have a 2014) it is just an indicator that the doors are locked. To verify you can go in your car and the light next to the lock symbol should be off. Now lock the doors and the amber light next to the lock symbol should be on