87 dakota key does nothing

sterrio
0

Asked by sterrio Sep 05, 2013 at 11:40 PM about the 1987 Dodge Dakota STD Standard Cab 4WD LB

When I turn the key on my 87 dakota, nothing happens. All lights and accessories come
on. Starter cranks when shorted. I replaced the ignition switch and fusible link for ignition.
Turned over with key for a few seconds then stopped working. Fusible link didn't blow.
What do I do?

ikedc
10

had a few older Nissan pickups and a sidekick that had this prob. replaced a lot of parts and finally installed a bypass starter push button . had to have key in on position.sometimes it started with key only. kept me from walking.