drives only in 1,3,5 gear

Asked by cribo Jan 01, 2013 at 03:43 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Golf 4 Dr GL Hatchback

Probably broke selector cable. Not sure about yours but most Manuel trans use two cables one is a shifter and the other a selector. When one breaks it will not lift the linkage to select between gears. 1 3 5 is on either the up or down selection and 2 4 and reverse is on the other selection. Have some one watch cable ends at trans as you shift from 1 to 2. Both cables should move but I feel only one of yours is going to move. Hope this helps.

I had a problem with my GM manual transmission shifting recently. The GM unit uses two cables. One cable is the 1/N/2, 3/N/4, 5/N/R. The other cable moves it between the three gates. If VW uses a similar set up, both cables are attached. My problem was that the mechanism at the transmission needed lubrication. I oiled everything that moved and a few things that didn't. I got it freed up and put wheel bearing grease everywhere I could to keep it lubricated. If your cables both work, try lubrication.

Matthew Power

they dont have cables. check top of the gbox to make sure none of the clips have broke orpopped off the ball joints