I have a '92 Chrysler Dodge Dynasty 3.3 v6 and have a problem with it in drive. any suggestions?

TPO
0

Asked by TPO Sep 25, 2012 at 12:36 PM about the 1992 Dodge Dynasty 4 Dr STD Sedan

the car can go in reverse and it seems to be able to go forward for a couple of feet but maybe when it goes beyond first gear it gets stuck and doesn't budget. it'll rev up in drive and can still go in reverse but i have to turn the car off then on again to get a couple more feet out of it going forward.

there is a kind of pinging sound when the car is stuck in drive

there is ample transmission fluid.

i've heard of something called a Transmission control solenoid that may be something to look into

John Sturman
1,275

it does sound like the solinoid,but it also could be a problem with the torque convertor

TPO
0

so the decision is unanimous; all the local shops that made a guesstimate over the phone were in agreement meant that the transmission needs to be rebuilt. so i am now wondering what to do next. these guys are talking 15-16 hundred flat but how much would it be if i take out the transmission and get the parts myself. i would think the price would be significantly lower right? and the whole thing about it being an older car and me not having money to pour into it. is there anything that can mess up a transmission not having to do with wear and tear? can other parts of the car mess up the transmission again? if so i would have to get the car checked top to bottom ensure the transmission does go out do to faukty wiring or something.