I have a 1984 MB 190E. Starts well, runs OK, until I select rev or drive, then it misses badly. Can clear it by selecting neutral and giving it some gas. Cannot find any vacuum leaks. HELP.

wdoduct72
0

Asked by wdoduct72 Mar 31, 2014 at 06:58 PM about the 1984 Mercedes-Benz 190-Class 190E 2.3 Sedan

JRKPerformax
1,395

Sounds like it could be carbon blockage you could have a dirty throttle body. Clean it with Brake Cleaner and Rag. It also could be a weak fuel pump or clogged fuel filter. I would do a fuel pressure test and check it. I would replace the fuel filter first since it would be cheaper. Then, I would suspect the ignition. I would do a tune up or check the plugs and wires. If they are old I would replace them. Also, it could be a weak battery as well. I would put a load test on it. Even though it could start the engine it doesn't mean that it is weak. Make sure it is charging as well by putting a multimeter on it.

Dannyl
30

misses under load, wont idle in gear. dist cap and rotor issues with resistance and or burn thru. use bosch. Plug wire issues, plugs. after those inspections and resistance tests, see if it improves after correction. then run fuel system tests. Copper core bosch plugs are everybodys fix for the best plug. Those expensive redundant ground, and supposed high performance plugs are crap. report an update to tell what you find.

Dannyl
30

after 5 mos. without a reply, it must have been a simple fuel pump or spark delivery issue?