I am contemplating selling or donating my manual 1984 244 GLT Turbo. What is the value of this car?

Asked by volvo4me Nov 06, 2012 at 09:37 PM about the 1984 Volvo 240 GLT Turbo

The car leaks oil a bit and the over drive is unreliable. There is a bit of rust and body damage but I always enjoyed driving the car. One mechanic told me it is not worth putting any money into however I am not certain I believe him. Recently after bringing it to the mechanic it seems to not want to run. When I press the gas peddal it seems to really struggle to get going. Now that the battery is dead I am thinkingit might have been a battery issue? Any thoughts as to whether I should donate, sell, or fix this car?

Car is Worth about $1-2K. It's a personal decision if you want to repair or sell it. Most places won't take donated cars that don't run nowadays, but call around. Probably better to sell for $500 as a parts car or scrap it for $200-$300. But if you really like the car, then by all means fix it and continue to drive it. You'll be way ahead of new car payments.

Thank you Tom for your reply. I have three main issues with the car, perhaps you might have some thoughts as to rough estimates to fix these issues or what might be causing them. Aso the car will run with a new battery. 1) the over drive is intermittent which does not make driving on the freeway enjoyable. 2) ever since something to do with the coolant, perhaps a pump, was replaced the car seems like it is chocking when I push the accelerator. Any thoughts as to why? 3) there was one incident where I felt light headed after driving thet car on account of fumes, tough I am not certain if this was because the car had been sitting a while. There is an oil leak so perhaps it was burning oil?

Put in on craigslist "as is". If it sells, Great! If not, donate it. Another option, junk yards are paying around 300-400 last time I checked and they pick up the car for free!