i have oil coming ot of my exhaust and white smoke, what do i do?

rbenh72
0

Asked by rbenh72 Sep 29, 2012 at 08:54 PM about the 1983 Porsche 911 SC

i replaced an oil line from from the tank to the unit in the fender (passenger sie). I than added oil until i saw some on the dip stick. I started it up and drove a abot a mile to get it warmed to check the oil. I started to spit and sputter like it was out of gas, in the rear view i saw a huge smoke cloud. I shut it off, checked the oil and found it was to the top, and non was on the ground. I started up and took it home. I checked the oil it was still too high so i drained some off until it was right on the dip stick. Started and it made a smoke cloud again, this time i noticed oil coming out of the exhaust so i shut off and let it sit. After about two hours i strted it up again (it started right away) and pulled it in the garage. i later noticed a small pool of oil on the floor. So the question is, did a realy put in too much oil? If so what problems am i facing now?  

Michael Kane
4,305

I would start by draining out the oil, and then put in the exact amount needed. Hopefully nothing was damaged by the overfill.

Smitty22
390

You check the oil level when HOT on these cars, you more than likely overfilled it. Start with 8 gts, and then when its running check your oil level. You might end up putting in 11-12 quarts depending on the model.

Santiago Jimenez
25

or maybe the piston rings are leaking oil thru its surface , so the car is burning out the oil