Synthetic Vrs Conventional Oil

Asked by starcraft Feb 15, 2011 at 09:20 PM about the 2003 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

Hi. I thought I asked this question earlier but can't find it, anyway here goes. Is it true that you can get better fuel economy and go longer inbetween oil changes with synthetic oil? Does anyone know about when to schedule oil changes with either since I can't find it in my owners manual? Also, would I need a special oil filter if I'm going so long inbetween changes? Thanks in advance.

yes u can go longer on a oil change around 7,000 miles,caution if you been useing regular oil and switch it will start useing oil,fuel milage wont be afected.being a 03 with useing regular oil,I would not advise it.

Good advice. Thanks

Larry Quigley

You can look up a PDF owners manual from here: Your manual recommends using Motorcraft 5W-20 Premium Synthetic blend oil and changing your oil every 5,000 miles (3,000 miles if used under special operating conditions). No special filter should be needed as long as you don't go past that interval. Synthetic oil will not increase oil consumption in a mechanically sound engine. It can also increase fuel mileage but gains will vary by car. I recommend using a "full" synthetic oil instead of a blend to get the most benefit.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not the original owner, but the escape seems to have a very good engine,(no hesitation, leaks, runs clean) and has about 78,000 miles on it. Thanks again.

want to bet on it.

I have used Synthetic on high mileage engines, my experience is, if they don't use oil they wont have much change in useage. I used synthetic on a chrysler for 80 to 270k and the engine still didnt use oil.10k oil changes and longer. seldom changed the filter in between changes. that is the weakness, is filtering out the particles and breaking down the oil molecules.