I changed the computer in 1998 dodge dakota 4x4 3.9v6 and it was pre flashed. Do i have to take it to a shop to have it programmed to my truck

galaga
0

Asked by galaga Aug 26, 2013 at 03:41 PM about the 1998 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr Sport Extended Cab SB

replaced cpu and truck not getting but 12 mpg

18,125

I hope that the battery was disconnected before you put in the re-flashed ECM, if not you may have damaged it. Here's something you can try: disconnect the negative battery terminal, turn on the headlights and wait 30 seconds or longer, turn off headlights, reconnect negative terminal, start engine and drive it as you normally do for at least 30 minutes, this will allow the ECM to learn the parameters of your vehicle. Now see what happens with your mileage.

15,955

Yes, the new/replacement computer must be flashed using your VIN. There's no such thing as a "preflashed" unit! HTH. -Jim