leaking transmission fluid when car has been running for a while. I cannot successfully find the leak. Do I jus continue to add the proper amount of fluid? I am afraid to drive the car!!!!

oney
0

Asked by oney Jan 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus ES

My 2000 dodge stratus over heated on tuesday. my coolant had too much water and froze. Unfroze the coolant with a blow dryer.the car warms up fine however I am leaking a small amount of transmission fluid after my car has been running for awhile. do I continue to add trans fluid and try to drive it to a mechanic? very nervous to drive it!!!

69,775

Leaking a small amount - take a chance if it's a short drive. The transmission has fluid lines that go to the radiator. You may have popped one of those when it froze.

DavidH25

Hold on..you have two questions. If it is leaking just a very small amount, don't be afraid to drive it..but do you mean add coolant or trans fluid? And I REALLY hope i am not reading that you are putting tranny fluid in the radiator.. how cold did it get? 50/50 will protect you down to something like 20 below, even 10% will protect you down to say 20 above. You put a blow dryer right on the radiator? that will work, but it may still be frozen in the block, and if it was 20 below it could crack the block. Physics laws will allow frozen water to break anything, the water, the only known substance that expands when frozen, is unstoppable expansion and will break an iron block, especially in the small passages in the block and head(s) but back to your question. Top off transmission fluid and drive it to mechanic, no worries

DavidH25

I forgot about that tenspeed, right on. Pay attention to that one, oney