My car dies when I let off the gas

RangoGrl4
5

Asked by RangoGrl4 Dec 05, 2012 at 03:37 AM about the 2000 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT, I bought a month ago. I noticed it had a slow start but it still started and ran fine. I drove it this morning to an appt and then back with no problems. I went to leave this afternoon and it wouldn't start. Tried a few minutes later and it started but when I let off the gas it dies. What could be causing this? There isn't a check engine light on, was wondering if I should still plug my OBD reader in it and see if anything comes up. Also wondering if it could be fuel filter. I can smell gas, kinda like its flooded...but its running, til I take the foot off the pedal? Any ideas would help. Thx :)

4,745

leaky injector, vacuum leak, out of time, could be a few things. Plug a scanner up and look for anything out of the ordinary

Michael Pope
195

Same here. Almost like it needs to clear its throat . I just keep it at a higher RPM and it seems to clear up after 30-45 seconds. Have just gone through entire engine compartment and found no frayed wires, broken vac lines. I have not check the injectors or the fuel rails.

Sigurður Guðmundsson
905

Our truck´s are very sensitive about the battery, When I was working on my Durango few years back and had the stereo on for about 10 hours the battery ran low and it acted up just like that for few days, I cleaned the connectors on the battery and it ran fine for 4 years then it started again so I changed the battery and it ran fine again. It could also need a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank but since it has a slow start my guess is the battery.