while driving my 1988 toyota corolla fx16 gt-s yesterday it stopped running as I approached a stop light & would not start again. I pulled the coil wire and checked for a spark. there was none. what

redrobin
0

Asked by redrobin Oct 10, 2012 at 01:44 PM about the 1988 Toyota Corolla FX GTS

TupeloMS
630

timing belt

DavidH25

I agree. Quite likely from what you describe, take a look at it if you are a do-it - yourselfer, if it is completely broken that will be obvious, but if it only jumped time that is not so obvious just by looking.

DavidH25

I really got interested in this question, there are many variables. 1988 was the first model year to offer the ZZ family of engines, first built in May 1897 for the 1988 model year in the USA. But there were other optional engines, including the 2E, 1.3L among others. Your car may not even have a timing belt, as the '88 was the first of the 6th generation Corolla, '88 - '91. and those engines have a chain-driven cam.