why is my car still shaking and running rough?

adaongs05
20

Asked by adaongs05 Mar 01, 2012 at 05:30 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus SE

I resently bought the car and the previous owner stated it needed a major tune-up and it would be find. I had the spark plugs, wires, and coil replaced. Also the idle air control and a flex something (for the exhaust). When I'm at a stand still or gear it shakes real bad. I have also noticed a clicking or rattling nosie when I'm driving. I'm not too good with cars and don't know what else could be the problem I was told it could be a few things: vacuum hose, cat convertor, and something else. Help please.

voltagefuel
755

If its the 2.7 liter V6 it could just be the engine, not a great one unfortunately. Is there an engine light on? If so, taking that to a dealer to get the code checked out, could quickly find and solve the problem. You also could have rusted engine mounts. Before it becomes a money pit, have a reputable dealer or mechanic check it out. A proper diagnostic could cost $100, but it'll save you time and money in the long run. The idle could also be off.

adaongs05
20

Thanks but its a 2.4L 4 cyclinder. There are no lights on and to be honest the guy at autozone said one of my motor mounts was bad I was okay for now but would have to replace it. The guy that fixed the flex (exhaust) put it on the machaine and didn't see anything else but I still don't know. I was thinking about taking it to the guy who has a shop that my sister and brother-n-law uses. I also made the mistake of going to purrfect auto (las vegas) and got an oil change I also asked them to see what they thought was wrong. The said cat convertor but I'm afraid to believe them reason when I took my car I only had the shaking and exhaust problem now it runs rougher than it did my oil light flickers on and off when I come to a stop, the engine light was on before I left the shop and then it started smoking and over heated. Come to find out when I got to autozone they didn't put the oil cap back on. Now I get the clicking/rattling noise and the rough ride.

voltagefuel
755

Try a reputable Dodge dealer! It's sometimes the LESS costly route. They may have the best answer - and suggestions, and might be able to solve the problems which seem to be keeping a lot of other garages you've visited still guessing. A good diagnostic runs about $100 but you get the answer to your problems. Hope it works good again soon.