Should I be afraid?

Stacycar
0

Asked by Jan 13, 2013 at 01:44 PM about the 2001 Dodge Stratus R/T Coupe

I have a little bit of worry problems when it comes to used cars and am concerned about my safety when something
goes wrong with my car. My car has a slipping transmission when it goes into 1st gear (its an automatic) is this
something that will be expensive to repair? Or do I probably just need new fluid? Should I worry that the car will be
undriveable?
Please let me know thank you

nosmo
1,995

well I had that same problem a week ago. Just go to your local auto store tell them your problem and they might give you recomend transmission slip fluid. Your car will be allright once you put it in your car.

joef
5,395

If it needs a new transmission, it will certainly be an expensive repair ($1,000+) but before you rule it out as a failing transmission you should get the fluid changed (not flushed). Bring it to a reputable transmission shop and get their advice. If they say you need a new transmission, take it to another shop. Dodge transmissions can be really poor if they are not maintained properly but you can often save a transmission by simply changing the fluid, even after if begins to slip. Limit your driving with it slipping because every time an automatic transmission slips, it causes incredible wear to the clutches inside the transmission. The transmission is the most intricate, complex, and least understood part of people's vehicles and it is often the most neglected. I would start by driving it straight to a transmission clinic and ask them to change the fluid. It might not be a bad idea to drain the torque converter too.

Best Answer
joef
5,395

I would NOT add any 'anti-slip' additives to your transmission other than 'Seafoam Trans tune' and I would only add that as a last resort if it continues to slip after you have gotten the fluid changed. 95% of products can help the slip for a short period of time but end up being extremely detrimental to the health of your transmission in the long-term. I would not add a transmission additive now.

Stacycar
0

Ok thank you very much Joef!

hummerh1alphame
280

pre-computer transmission? just add fluid and look for a leak

81,485

I agree with Joe, take it to a transmission shop. They can tighten the bands which will reduce slipping.