Cost of a mechanic finding and fixing a EVAP leak

Asked by dre604 Nov 11, 2010 at 10:19 PM about the 2002 Dodge Stratus SE

2 weeks ago, I got a check engine light. I took my car to Advance and the clerk hooked up a scan tool to my car and error code P0456 come up. The clerk suggested I get a new gas cap and I did. A week later (Today) the check engine light came back on. Took my car back to Advance and the same error code came up but the gas cap wasn’t the problem. It has to be a leak somewhere in the EVAP system. I did some research and I felt that solving the problem myself might be out of my league. I might have to take my car to a mechanic. Have anyone took their car to a mechanic to fix an EVAP leak and how much did it cost?

EVAP is not that big of a deal,all it does is recirculate the gas fumes through it.part of the emmision control system,it may de just a vac leak.

I was thinking. Where I live, I have to do a annual emissions test on my car. Since the problem with my car has something to do with emissions, do you know if my car will fail emissions test because of the leak?

Dan Connell

any vehicle 1996 and newer under 9900lbs with a gas engine must have a functioning emissions system, also you will not be able to pass inspection with a CEL on, go to your local mechanic and he'll prolly do a evap system pressure test for free on it and that will tell you where your problem is

My car is a 2002 Dodge Stratus. I'll have to go to a mechanic. Thanks!

Dodges are famous for that. I had a Neon that did the exact same thing. When you fuel up, if you don't get the gas cap on tight enough it will trigger the engine light to come on. It has to do with the vacuum. I got to the point where I would twist the cap around several times after it started clicking to make sure it was tight enough. After I started doing that the light never came back on. Just make sure you do it tight.

Hi yosenit, I've posted this last week but I made sure the gas cap was tight and still a check engine light:

I have the same problem on my 03 cavalier. been like that for a year for me no serious problems and im hoping for a low cost bill but im only commenting to let you guys know in MD i passed my emissions inspection with the CEL on and the evap problem.if its small theyll probably let it pass.