How to remove governor in 03 dodge dakota

Ted Weaver
85

Asked by Ted Aug 24, 2008 at 07:33 PM about the 2003 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr SXT 4WD Standard Cab SB

Got a 03 Dodge dakota 3.9L V6 manual trans 4x4. Was wondering how to take off the governor. (i.e. where to find the sucker, where to rip it out, etc)

Adam Morgan
3,925

Why would you want to go faster in a truck! I don't know if anyone told you but trucks are ridiculously unstable at speed.

Ted Weaver
85

You ask me why, i'll ask you why not? There was a man who climbed mount everest, and a reporter asked him 'why?', his response was only 'because it's there.'

Adam Morgan
3,925

True but that's apples an oranges, it's not that you're doing something unique like climbing a mountain... even if you did place removing a speed limiter akin to climbing a mountain, doing it on a truck is like climbing a mountain naked. Even the people who've climbed the mountain think you're an idiot for doing so.

Ted Weaver
85

You're right, this isnt a unique idea. I'm just looking for a little more speed, and i never said it was the smartest or safest way to do so. I can't exactly drag race the thing....i admit, it's a truck, and i know it has limits. i'm just trying to push it's limits.

Adam Morgan
3,925

Well I wish I had exact answers for your vehicle, unfortunately I don't having never done this on a Dakota (or any truck) My guess since it's an 03 would be that the RPM's are governed by the ECU so you'd likely need a flash or an aftermarket ecu... check superchips and the like and see what they have for your vehicle... One last word of advice though... Because the way it's shaped, the faster you go, the less weight will be on the back end... So if you're going to push it past 90 on the highway or track, put some weight back there and keep the tail gate up... It'll only take a strong gust of wind to slip your back end out.

Justin Doucette
1,405

To answer the original question.... There is no box you can rip out. The speed limiter as well as the rev limiter are programmed into the PCM. To remove it you can either get your PCM flashed, (there are a few places to do this but it's not cheap) or you can buy a hand held tuner, like the Superchips Max Micro tuner #3715 or the newer 3815 Flashpaq. I don't think any other company makes a tuner for that year Dakota. If you sign up for some of the forums out there that are Dodge truck or Dakota/Durango specific you should be able to find a used 3715 for a couple hundred bucks The Superchips tuner does more than just raise the speed and rev limiters, it has 3 different power levels, it can adjust for different tire sizes and can also be used as a code reader on compatible Dodge trucks

Mark Kopp
195

you can find a good speed shop that flash the pcm then that work but a programer is the only other way. the way i had mine rasied is because i changed my pcm to the performace one from mopar and that one does not have the speed limiter but the last time i check mopar does not make a perforamce pcm for your truck at all. there is other things to you can do to make your truck preform better like change your throttle body over to the 5.9 r/t throttle body i did that with my 3.9l club cab i had (i was lucky i changed the throttle body on my 5.9) the best thing to do is go into the fourms and find these items up for sale at a discounted rate because alot of companies give this fourm groups a special discount rate on the parts

Justin Doucette
1,405

I agree with the throttle body mod, very good low buck mod for the 3.9. But there is no such thing as a 5.9 R/T throttle body, all stock V8 TB's are the same, with the exception of 4.7's

Kimberly Williams
0

dose this go for a 2001 also and about how much dose it cost for chip for the truck and where would i go to find a used one in from san bernardino