Hello. I have a 2012 Chevy Impala LT, 3.6L V6. It has roughly 35,000 miles on it. Occasionally when I hit the brakes I get a Stabilitrak Error Message "Service Stabiltrak". When it happens the odometer needle fluctuates and the power locks engage/disengage. Some days it won't happen at all. Other days it'll happen almost every time I hit the brakes. Someone mentioned ot have the front wheel sensors (speed and abs sensor) looked at. Would appreciate any suggestions for where to start. Thanks.

MrRobinson
70

Asked by MrRobinson Apr 06, 2013 at 03:04 PM about the 2012 Chevrolet Impala LS Fleet

50,915

Since it's a relatively new car and it should have some sort of warranty, take it back to the dealer. It may be a known problem and they can fix it. When the speedometer needle dancing and locks cycling, it sounds like a lack of 12 volt power to them when the brake light bulbs are energized.

17,585

Sounds like a problem with the BCM (body control module). This is the onboard computer that controls your power locks, lights, even the horn. Since the car is only a year old & has less than 36,000 miles on it it should be covered by new car warranty. HTH. -Jim

Joe Bartlett
305

you need to get the ebcm reprogramed for this condition,should be cover in your warranty at a gm dealer

MrRobinson
70

Hey thanks guys. I just got back in town yesterday since I posted the question and noticed the service brake assist message as well. So when I hit the brakes I get "service brake assist" then "service stabiltrak" while the speedometer needle fluctuates and the door locks cycle and i believe the radio turns off for a second then back on. I'll definitely take it in and have them look into the BCM. Thanks again. Also, I don't know why I said 2012, it's 2011.

17,585

Check your warranty booklet. I believe GM still had 3 year/ 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty coverage in 2011. You may still be covered. HTH. -Jim

Shunnett
0

I have the same exact problem with mine, except the air conditioning goes out as well! What ended up being the problem with yours! I'm thinking about replacing the BCM.

Shunnett
0

I had the car on the computer & the following codes came up; U100, U0140, U0101, P0575, P069E, P0700, & U7300. They are uncertain about what it is and feel that it is either the BCM or the sensor in the tire/bearing. But the sensor shouldn't knock out the A/C, the bouncing speedometer, or the radio. With mine, it seems like it only happens when it's been sitting in the hot sun. Chevy dealerships state that they're not aware of this being a problem, and replacing the BCM is their best guess. They said it "might" just be a loose ground wire...another mechanic said it could be the ignition switch....oy vey!!! I don't really want to waste a lot of money on what it "could or might" be....

Amanda Bishop
30

I also have a 2012 Chevrolet Impala LTZ.. i purchased my car last november fron a used car dealer and it had $30,000 miles on it. I only had it for 3 months and it started making noises in the front left... sounded like a scraping/grinding noise and it only did it a couple times and went away. After about 2 months of intermittent noises the ABS light came on, the service stabilitrak warning, service traction control warning, and service brake assist warning. I took it to three different mechanics (2 of which are certified GM mechanics) and nobody had an answer. I finally found a trusted mechanic who dissected the problem and they told me i needed to replace the left front hub assembly becuz it was worn and cracked. My car does not have the bumper to bumper warranty any more becuz i have about 50,000 miles on it. This repair cost me $400! NOW i am being told that there is a defect in the ABS SENSOR MODULE which is not covered under manufacturer 100,000 mile warranty! This repair is approximately $450! WTF??! I am wondering if this is something I can wait to repair now that i am broke from the first repair??? i am not a happy owner of this car seems like there has been nothing but grief an i read alot about these chevy impala's having issues.

17,585

Yes, the ABS module can wait. It will not effect your normal braking. However, the anti lock feature and probably the traction control, if equipped, will be disabled. So keep that in mind. If you have to panic stop you will skid. HTH. -Jim

MrRobinson
70

Hey guys... I'm the original poster. After taking the car to the GM dealer, the problem ended up being two wires were meshed together at the wire harness. They were the cause of all of the sensor issues. It was a $160 dollar repair. All has been great since. no issues at all.

judge_roy

Yes...for some reason the Engineers decided to go delicate...instead of HEARTY they could have used a 12V signal...but N000000, they had to use a "field effect" like from a transistor....light and flakey with a tendancy to get mixed in with the spaghetti~...just because the signals are minimal does not mean that the wires have to be minimal...especially in a clobber- abrasive environment with a lot of flexing and dust~...some people's kids, I tell ya~

Critter954
20

2012 Impala LT owner here...few months ago while backing out of driveway and leaving...slight grinding noise in front and stabilitrak light flickers. progressively got worse...called dealership and told I was "taking off" to fast! Yeah, right. Took car to dealer (only 24000m) and replaced right front worn hub bearing. All is well for about 2-3 weeks then the grinding started again....back to dealership...this time the right hub bearing.! You would think it would have been checked the first time. first day with both bearings replaced, ok. Then a small shimmy in front end...I'm thinking its the road I am on "NOT" has been 2 weeks and leaving for working this am... drove about 1mile and turned around. the pulsing and vibration in front end scared the bejeepers out of me...waiting for dealership to open to have towed. Only upside at this point is the warranty/ext warranty I have!

Critter954
20

Edit....left hub bearing change after the right one changed.