Over Heating

Angie3910
70

Asked by Angie3910 Jun 03, 2008 at 09:57 PM about the 2004 Dodge Stratus SE

My car has started over heating again.  I just replaced the thermostat last year. Why is it still doing this?  How do I fix it? hhmmmm?

Kevin Whitehouse
195

engine coolent!

Larry Thibert
1,370

hmmm.scrap the pos and buy a real car...just a suggestion...

David Schultz
290

well its a step up form a neon.. well maybe not a step up but at least one to the right... i would drvie the thing into on coming traffic and get bent

Angie3910
70

I might be a chick, but I am not a freakin MORON!! I have gone through the process of elimination.

Justin Doucette
1,935

Wow you guys are all assholes... First check the coolant level, if it's topped up, there may be an air bubble in the system. Pull off the rad cap and start the car, let it get all warmed up and once the Tstat opens any air bubbles should work their way out If that still doesn't fix it, the tstat may be broken, I know you just replaced it but it can happen When is it overheating? on the highway or in stop and go traffic? or both? If your electric fan has died that could cause it to overheat in stop and go traffic

Angie3910
70

It's fine most of the time. I drove less then 12 blocks the other morning, and came home, opened the hood, and it had felt as though I had drove it for miles.

Greg Eastwood
110

If it is heating up quickly then the tstat may not be opening. to fix replace the tstat. I agree with the previous post, you have to wait till it's cool. Open the cap, start the car and watch for bubbles. if there are some bubbles then it stops it may be air in the system. If the bubbles continue to come you may have blown a gasket or cracked a head. This causes hot gases to get into the cooling system and over heat the engine. So if you have constant bubbles you need to give it some attention straight away. the longer you leave it the worse it will get. But if bubbles stop, use a good coolant to top up. Then wait for the water to heat up and see if the thermo fan kicks in. If the fan is not working that is your problem. it may also be the water pump. If the water does not move through the radiator then it will not cool and thus the heating problem again. hope this helps.

You think this is helpful.
Adam Dentinger
495

remember! engine coolant works best if u poor it DIRECTLY inton the engine. ps. kevin is correct.

Mark King
55

i agree with the last statement but sometimes its not easy it depends on how high the radiator is mounted if it is low like some cars the air bubble in the system will not run down to the rad cap you must have a certified shop do that you should also test the fan if it is warped or a bad fan motor then it will not cool the engine properly and may need to be replaced also the last thing is if the mixture of anitfreeze to water is not correct it will not cool it enough so there is a few options for you if you have any more questions please give me an emailking2982@gmail.com i will be happy to help u out

Charlie Beller
370

i agree with gregg, appears as though air is getting in the system, try this.. topp off coolant and let sit overnight, next day start engine and let it run no more than 2-3 min at idle. shut car off and check the top radiator hose, squeeze the hose with your hand, if it feels very hard to squeeze there is likely air in the system prolly from a head gasket or cracked head. my theory here is that after only running 2-3 min there should not be enough heat or engine rpm to create pressure in the cooling system, if there is pressure, its coming from the combustion chamber... dont overlook the radiator fan relay or motor, check for a blown fuse 1st, relays and fuses have been a small issue

sirpirate
50

i would drain the radiator,flush it out,then refill it with new fluid.. my wifes 04 stratus gets hot in the summer. i flushed it out,and its better now.

Chandler_Apache
45

I've been experiencing the same and suspected thermostat; flushed radiator, replaced tstat and still had the problem. I finally discovered a hose leak (thermostat to heater hose). Replaced all the hoses and have been monitoring for a week and still determining if it is leaking elsewhere. Seems to be good at this point.

Peter Nichols
2,315

check the ignition timming . sounds like to me it's not advanced enough .. what kind of water did you put in the radiator ? tap water ? ALLWAYS USE DISTILLED H2O IT WONT LIME UP YOUR RADIATOR ... AND CHANGE THE COOLANT AT THE RECOMMENDED INTERVALS ....

Peter Nichols
2,315

MAKE SURE ALL THE AIR DAMS ARE UNDER THE FRONT END ... THEY DIRECT AIR INTO AND AWAY FROM THE RADIATOR .. CHECK INBETWEEN THE A/C CONDENSER AND THE RADIATOR CORE FOR LEAVES BUGS AND GRASS AND SHIT ... pbn

Raul Funes
0

I have 2005 Dodge Stratus 2.7 and it over heated and the outlet water was leaking then at the same I changed the thermostat! It worked! but that antifreeze/ coolant Must be specified for Chrysler! (MS7170) Or call the dealer! With your VIN # they will tell you witch one, but don't put anyone! Also good idea to don't over full because the water need space to run. That cause over heating too! And you need to purge it too. Put the whater directed to the Engine (to the block) trough the water hose! mind while keep Opened the purge valve it. If you're lucky it will purge automatic, if no, you will need to purge it. Remember don't mix the old antifreeze/coolant With the new one! Take out all the water out and replace it! Good luck!

bartholemew
0

thank you all for your answers. I have a 2001 Chrysler lhs and ever since I've been putting that coolant 50 in it seems to be overheating. they tried a ther but it didn't work, now they think its water pump. I can't stand all of this I live on a ver fixed income...and need that old car. It was pristine before I moved to CA. also, why do bushings and tie rods need to be done so often? email standscot@yahoo.com car is in shop right now and I have no idea as to what I can do or pay for. I'm a cancer patient and need to get to all doctors...again, thank you...

Tianna Meade
10

i have a 2003 dodge stratus that keeps over heating as well and it needs a new raiator once thats fixed do you think it will help and how hard is it to change the radiator? and expensive?