Why is my check Engine light on

Kimberly Nichols
0

Asked by Kimberly Feb 07, 2013 at 11:07 AM about the 2004 Dodge Durango SLT

Just came on

Kimberly Nichols
0

Idk

judge_roy

Well, any number of things can trigger this. The amount of milage will trigger this for your 30,000 and 80.000 maintenance. Is the truck runnin' okay? No black smoke, hesitant starting, idles okay? hate to recommend the "black tape" solution, until you can take it to the dealer to reset this conditiion-- things to crap out on you for example, the oxygen sensor or sensors, perhaps the AIR filter is buggerd up and needs to be changed (or blasted clean with compressed air) Nice if you could tell us how's the performance of this buggy?

DavidH25

One of the most common is if the gas cap is not on. It may be as simple as that

Boxchevy22
75

Start small gas cap, bad air filter ,or an oxygen sensor

DavidH25

Dealer, Bob? A good reputable mechanic can do it at 1/2 or less cost....Bob, bob, you know better that that wassamatter witchu

69,615

Take it to the parts store and get the codes read. They can tell you what is causing the light to be on.

judge_roy

,,,you guys are of course RIGHT, but I guess you cannot sue a barnyard mechanic. What you are paying for at the dealer is all that legal protetion they must have to stay alive.

Lars Cats
3,685

These days your best bet is to hook a car up to diagnostics, for the home mechanic there are plenty of universal OBD scanners for just that purpose or you can get an OBD interface for next to nothing and use you laptop. Without those things you might never know why the CEL is on. That's why I love older cars: no computers, just simple mechanical stuff and the car tells you waht's wrong nine out of ten times without the need for computers or error checkers.

Sigurður Guðmundsson
1,795

You need to pull the code to see what has turned it on. i don´t think it is possible on the 2004 Durango to do the key thing to get the code in the dash board like on my 2002 but if you want to try here is how to do it you quikly turn the key from off to on 3 times leacng it on on position and the PO code will appear in the dash board where the odo is. Then when you have got the code either by the key thing or an external reader you can go to this site to see what it means and take it from there: http://www.wjjeeps.com/faultcodes.htm

Phil Nielsen
295

as everyone has said, go to a mechanic who has an OBD scanner and get the codes read. it could be a matter of just resetting the comp. they can tell in minutes what the problem is.

judge_roy

...like fifteen bucks man...http://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Engine- Scanner-Trouble-Reader/dp/B000LEPT5G

Sean D'Souza
60

Great article! This covers check engine light issues in detail too: http://www.insureplan.net/check-engine-light

Sewerrat7895
0

Don't have an answer but a comment and a question. The check engine light came on today and the gauges topped out but went back to normal. I took it to a auto parts store and had the codes read, they said it is both the oil and fuel sensors. They also said it is highly unlikely that both would malfunction at the same time, so it is more than likely a short somewhere between the front and rear bumper. So where do I start?