My SF stalled on a slow speed right turn. No engine code was produced. Anyone else experienced this problem? It is a 2011 Limited.

Coopersister
0

Asked by Coopersister Dec 28, 2011 at 05:18 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited V6

Slow speed stalling on right turn. No engine code light produced. All very sudden with no
warning signs or sounds. Dealer asks like I am delusional.

CoeJo
110

Also with a 2011 Limited. Has stalled three times in the seven months we've had it. Bought it new. Completely dies- no engine lights or anything. If I turn the car off and then back on, it seems fine. I've taken the car back in to the dealership where it was purchased (and serviced) and they've held it for at least a week each time, claiming they've done everything Hyundai reps have told them to do. They're telling me the car is ready to be picked up, and that they can't find anything wrong. Has happened when I was driving (accelerating after a red light), while my husband was driving (going over a speed bump), and once in traffic- slowly accelerating. Really dangerous, especially with two little kids in the car. Dealership has told me they have no reason to hold the car, and if I want to I can call the 1-800 number for Hyundai. Looking into the Lemon Law. Any further issues with your car? Also had a lot of problems with the rear view camera/radio (not turning on), synching phones, right front tire seems to spin when accelerating at right turns etc. They said they have replaced the radio since I've dropped the car off, but couldn't find any other problems. The stalling is my main concern, for safety reasons, but too many issues for a new car!

Katie414Katie
50

2012 santa fe limited... Stalled while driving very slowly in parking lot. Less than 6000 miles on it. Disturbing. Will call Hyundai.

fluffy40
40

I've had the same thing happen to my in my new Veloster. I'll be taking a ramp from one freeway to another, going 60 miles an hour and apply a bit of brakes and my engine turns off. I have to pull over obviously then turn off the car... then it turns right back on again. It's terrifying. The care is less than a year old. It's happened twice. I'm going to be rearended soon . Hyundai will love paying for those injuries.

Pchan
60

I have a 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS. I purchased it in Feb. 2012. My car stalled on my three times already and each time I bought it to Hyundai to find the problem. The first time, I was at a stop sign and the car suddenly stalled. The second time, I was driving about 20 mph looking for a parking space. In the middle of the block, the car just stalled. The third time, I was going about 15 mph making a left turn then all of the sudden my the engine stalls and my steering wheel got really tight so I ended up at the side of the street where the bus usually stops. Each time this happened though, the car started right up and was running fine. Each time Hyundai said they couldn't find the problem. There were no codes that showed up when they ran the test on it. I've reported this to the Office of Defects Investigations and to Hyundai America. I don't feel safe driving this car plus I drive my family around all the time. Hyundai needs to give us a new car since there aren't that many cases yet. They can afford it. They need to do something before someone gets hurt or killed.

autobots
40

there are so many reasons why the engine stalls, 1st system to check is the ignition system, if there is no problem there, try to check the fuel system, then the EGR, and the last is the crankshaft position sensor.. RJ ( automotive engineering student)

iradmd
40

I have had the same problem with my 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe limited. The first time it happened I stopped at a stop sign and the engine just flat died. Started right up again. Tonight I was making a slow right turn and the engine died in the middle of the turn. The third situation is that I was in line on a steep parking garage ramp and the engine did not die but when I stepped on the gas to move forward the engine would not accelerate. I put it in neutral and gunned the engine and then it worked. There is a definite problem with these cars and sooner or later there is going to be an associated accident.

EMWard
40

My husband was driving our 2011 Santa Fe about 65 MPH today on a state highway when the engine jerked hard for a second or so, seemed to shut off and then start up again. We heard a loud clunking noise as if the bottom was falling out. I was rocketed forward kind of hard, but was unhurt. Very scary! We slowed down and drove the car directly home. Thankfully, we made it back safely. My husband plans to take the car to the dealer tomorrow. If we discover anything I will pass it along. But has anyone had this kind of problem? EMWard

Lappy
20

We ha e been having the same problem with our 2011 Santa Fe and there are also a few others from our town having the same stalling at low speeds problem. We have phoned the customer service but that is an exercise in frustration as they are only paying lip service and we can't talk to any managers or anyone that can help us. Our dealer here has been good enough to lend us a car but we have been without our car for two months now. I refuse to drive this unsafe car with my grandchildren in it and Hyundai is doing nothing for us. They have had the mechanics driving our car and another fellows 2012 Santa Fe for the past two months and we still do not have any answers. How long is this going to go on for? We are seriously thinking of contacting Market Place or the ITeam regarding this matter. Has anyone else done this yet? We are not happy with the way Hyundai Canada is treating us.

pbj1253
20

own a 2013 and have had the same problem with loss of power. took it to the dealer today. Tech said he found a service notice that talked about a similar problem and required that the carburator software be updated (carburator is now called a Turbo something or other). Won't know if it solved the problem unless the problem happens again...dangerous situation.

Lappy
20

Oh no, we just traded our 2011 Santa Fe in on a 2013 Santa Fe as I was afraid to drive our 2011 one as it kept stalling. There is no way Hyundai will give you a new car as we had to buy the new one.....grrrrrrr

jameshorhee
20

parents have 2012 santa fe limited...stalled 5 times within first year...taken to dealer last 3 times...each time they say they've fixed it with last time saying they consulted tech people at Hyundai Canada...anyone else have a fair resolution?

Lappy
20

We have had the same problem with stalling on our 2011 Santa Fe. At first it kept saying we were out of gas and then it kept stalling when we slowed down for turns. After 2 months at the dealers we have traded it in on a 2013 Santa Fe and we are just hoping the same thing doesn't happen.

jameshorhee
20

Lappy, if i may ask, what was the price difference to trade in for a 2013?

xnamd
0

I have 2007 2.2crdi santa fe and stalled two times. One is while decelerating at 60km/h, and other is at red light. No error codes appeared. And it took 20 min. to start the engine again for both events. Its obvious that this car is not reliable and Hyundai does not take any action for this chronic stall problems. I will never ever buy a hyundai car again. Our lives are not cheap as Hyundai sees, as they havent got any solution for years.

xnamd
0

If any one finds a way to solve the problem, please share with us.

Lappy
20

This has happened to three people that I know and we have all traded our cars in. The dealer said it was the throttle body but ours was changed three times. You won't get a representative from Hyundai to help you but our dealer was excellent with this problem

SonicPlug
20

I was on the Hyundai Forum sight and found a person that after numerous attempts to fix the stalling problem, HE suggested they replace the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). They did so and the problem seemed to be solved. I am taking my 2011 Santa Fe in today for the same problem and will mention the TPS replacement.

LauraLaney
10

My 2012 Sante Fe (had only 49 miles on it when purchased) does the same thing. I'm going to work through the dealership but also post to the company website. I hope they get this figured out before somone gets hurt. I have kids in the car as well.

Flin2
0

I read an article about GM having a problem. Engines shutting off suddenly. Creating the problem of no power steering or brakes. Sound familiar. Flin

Lappy
20

This has happened to a lot of people. Ours was a 2011 Santa Fe and we know of two others this happened too

LauraLaney
10

but yet my 2004 with 185,000 miles (that I gave to my son) never has had the problem and is still going strong. ****Dealership just called and they are replacing the entire fuel throttle system. Keeping fingers crossed. Response time/concern from dealership was fantastic...hoping for the best.

royinfo
0

I have a KIA Sorento 2012 and I have the same problem. My vehicle stalled 7 times. Every time I drove between 20 and 60 km. Kia Canada also closes eyes. My Vehicle is at present at the dealer's for 1 week and naturally they found nothing.Do somebody need to die before Kia or Hyunday take action ? What's is similar between Hyundai & Kia to have the same problem ?

Jpete18295
10

One guy says to try replacing the TPS. I have a 2004 with 98900 miles and it just started stalling on right hand turns last week. Today it did it again. So far it has been very wet when it stalls. I can't say it is not the wet causing mine. Keep an eye on this sight for more info. I did fix my own problem on the Hyundai when the air bag/ safety belt light would come on and stay on. It was the plugs below the drivers and passenger seats and I cut them out and hard wired the wires and the system works and test great.

123SK
10

I have a 2012 Santa Fe Limited and had the same problem. The engine stopped suddenly while driving in the parking lots. Today drining to the dealer ship, have to see what they say.

Sbjacobs
0

I have a 2011 Santa Fe that we bought new. It has 35,000 miles and it has stalled twice in the last ten days, luckily both at stop signs. No engine codes to my knowledge. Just took it in to the dealership and mentioned this forum - told them about the throttle position sensor and possible air bag issue - will let you know what they say. Thanks for sharing your experiences

2011pos
0

Its 2014 - I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata that has been stalling out while driving. They cant seem to fix the "problem" because there is no "computer code". Last month, the brake lights stayed on even when car was off. That took 3 trips to the dealer to fix. I would have to remove the battery cables when I parked it. Its always a "computer" problem with this stupid car. Before that, the brake sensor was bad and car wouldn't start. This is the worst car I ever owned. Driver window button broke. A/C is going. But NOTHING worse than crossing and intersection and car stalls out and passengers start screaming that they might die. I hope this becomes a class action. I hate this tin can.

Coopandt
10

I have never been in or wrote on a forum before but I am in shock at how many people have this problem. I have a 2012 Santa Fe with 34000 miles. I bought it pre owned a year ago. In the last month it has stalled 3 times one in a parking lot, 2nd when approaching a red light, and today when I was slowing down for a stop sign. 1st time I thought I was just overwhelmed with my day and didn't turn the car in when I went to pull out of a parking spot. 2nd time I brought it straight to the dealer and they said a code came up for an update to the main computer and did a flash something and this may work but I would have to drive it to see. I have 4yr old twins and not loving the safety aspect of this problem. I took it back today and they kept it telling me that they opened a case on it. That it's a unique situation and they did a bunch of tests and faxed results to Hyundai and were waiting to see what they said to do. Tech said something about the alternator spiking and causing it stall. I hope I have better luck than what I'm ready.

royinfo
0

Maybe a Good news. I have a Kia Sorento 2012 and have the same problem. (Wrote a post a few months ago) and just received a letter from KIA CANADA that said : KIA has recalled some KIA Sorento 2011-2013 to update the Motor Module (Software) that can cause a Stalling problem when we braked or Stop the car. I hope that it would be helpful for you. Alain

lilismi
0

My 2010 Tuscon (manual, bought used a few months ago) stalls regularly when doing a tight turn from stopped. My husband says its something about transferring power incorrectly, but he's no mechanic. Scary to hear so many others having a similar problem. We too have little kids in the back...will definitely contact Hyundai to see about the TPS or other...

LauraLaney
10

After back and forth with dealership and Hyundai they offered me a buy back and I received a 2014 Santa Fe with no additional money out of my pocket. It was a pleasant experience and customer service from Hyundai corporate offices was outstanding.

DisgruntledHyundaiOwner
0

Our 2011 Santa Fe just did this to my wife 3 days ago. Just turned off while at a red light. Thankfully she wasn't moving, but now is fearful whenever she drives that something could go wrong. Our vehicle is currently at the dealership now, and I will reference this thread when they call to tell me nothing is wrong. This has been the most problem-prone vehicle I have ever bared witness to. We had looked into the lemon law BEFORE this started happening. So far, we have replaced our transmission (less than 10k), transmission mount (bad install), steering column (twice) among other things. Car has less than 42k on it. I'm surprised to hear Hyundai just gave you a new Santa Fe - who did you talk to at corporate LauraLaney? Do you have any contact information to share to those of us in this thread?

royinfo
0

Like I mentionned in a previous post, Kia recalled Sorento for the same problem. Need to update the Motor Software.. I'm sure that Hyundai is the same problem,