Just changed the oil in my 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe, V6, automatic transmission, 3.5 liter engine. Now I have a major transmission oil leak coming from top of transfer case, transmission area.

PaddlerWes111
0

Asked by PaddlerWes111 Jan 26, 2014 at 03:56 PM about the 2012 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD

It appears as if a quart of transmission oil dumped.  This happened directly after I
changed the oil and started the engine.  I had just accidentally started the car with all
the oil drained, but realized what I had done in a second or two and shut the engine off.  
Then I refilled the oil reservoir and stared the engine once again.  It appears to be
transmission oil, but could it be transfer case oil??? Could this be a malfunctioning
sensor of some sort caused by starting the engine with no oil????

13,105

Check the areas around the oil filter and oil drain plug. Perhaps the new oil filter is defective. Oil filters should be hand tightened only. If you use a wrench you'll over tighten the filter, crush the gasket and it will leak. The drain plug should be tight but not super tight. Same deal about crushing the gasket. HTH. -Jim