Steering rack problems - 2006 Honda Accord

seane
0

Asked by seane Feb 15, 2012 at 07:03 PM about the 2006 Honda Accord EX w/ Leather and Nav

Hi there,
I recently had to get my steering rack replaced on my Honda Accord.
The garage was unable to tell me how or why it happened?
He also said that it was the first one he ever replaced on a Honda Accord. I was with a Honda Authorised Maintenance (and former dealer)

Has any had experience of this?
Why would it happen?
Very disappointed, as it cost €960 + VAT for the part, plus labour.

Cheers

Michael Schneider
50

if the power steering fluid isnt changed at the proper interval times, it can get dirty and cause the rack to wear prematurely. so follow the recommended interval changing times of the power steering fluid or if it looks dirty.

1,785

sorry you had to pay that much, but it sounds kind of fishy to me. especially since they couldnt tell you how or why. what were the symptoms, if any, prior to this?

Malotta
10

Just had exactly the same problem and exactly the same response, almost word for word. This was the first one they had ever had a problem with and they didn't know why it had happened. Mine is a 2007 Accord 2.2 Diesel, 84,000 miles, serviced by the main agent from new, and the comment above is from them. This is in the UK. Is this becoming a trend? Malcolm

Rickeee
10

Same thing has happened to me on a 2005 Accord Tourer 2.4 Exec. My opinion is that there is a design fault with these cars. There is too much weight on the front end and tyres wear much too quickly. I've been through 4 sets and its only done 52,000 miles. Now the rack needs replacing! On a £26,000 car, and a Honda, you would expect better reliability. More money down the drain.