Hole in back of coolant reservoir

jessyh2005
0

Asked by jessyh2005 May 16, 2013 at 09:45 AM about the 2005 Dodge Neon 4 Dr SXT Sedan

I went and got my oil changed in my 2005 Dodge neon and the mechanics told me that
my coolant reservoir was empty. I put coolant in it the morning and then there was a
puddle. I slowly just added to see where the coolant came out of and the is a hole in
the back of the tank that it came out of. It sort of lines itself up with the full mark on the   
other side but is it suppose to be "capped" or is it there so dummies like me don't
overflow the tank?

operator_13

$13.10---rockauto.com

82,965

It should not have a hole as most overflow tanks today are pressurized. Replace it, it's cheap enough.

Matt Thibault
735

The Neons do not have a pressurized overflow tank... Your leak may be coming from where the hose that connects the overflow tank to the cooling system. There should be a small hose coming from under the radiator cap (on the belt side of the engine) that runs to the overflow bottle on the firewall. Check the hose to see if it's leaking before replacing the bottle.