Alternative Key

DanLacher
0

Asked by DanLacher Aug 17, 2013 at 08:30 PM about the 2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD

'05 Durango

How close does the programmed key need to be to the ignition switch?  I have an extra
programmed key that is fully functional so I could leave it strapped in the vehicle or
engine compartment. The reason I am trying to figure it out is that I have a folding key
that is non-programmable that I would rather carry.

While testing today, the key would turn the ignition over but the security light would start
flashing and it would stop. If I pressed the programmed key in contact with the non
programmed one the engine would turn on and stay on.

I was under the impression they were not powered by the ignition switch but more of a
proximity element.

Can anyone clarify with more definitive answers?

judge_roy

these are fussy and uncomfortable....buttons get pressed...they get dropped on the ground or in the mud (or in the urinal on a bad day)...but the darned thing is worth $14,000....all in one key~...and that's the only key there is~....my experiences with the MINI remote key 2006~ r50 engine~ like $600 to get a duplicate key, bring the title and the registration and proof of insurance to show them that you aren't a phony....I guess~

judge_roy

Kind of a disappointment with their "hidden" functions such as pressing both buttons at once....there's a whole world of diagnostic secrets to be had with this key....if only they'd share a little intelligence....certainly I do not want the boot to lock EVERYTIME...this is annoying and is one of these "hidden" functions of the remote key~need I continue...this whole business is a disgrace~

judge_roy

...as least they give us a key instead of ethereal push-button mind control~

judge_roy

under the skin identifying tags (like some dogs get)~....where does it stop?~

7jimmy7
10,615

05 may have been proximity, some say the glove box is best for signal ,response ,experiment with areas. if you found the signal pickup box you got it !

Sigurður Guðmundsson
1,105

I used to work for a company that installed aftermarket remote start and more and they strapped or double taped the key very close to the ignition like inside the panel around the stearing tube or to cabe next to the ignition. There is a short range chip inside your key and it needs to be very close to the ignition to work.