2004 Ford Escape driveline vibration

jminatta
0

Asked by jminatta Nov 27, 2010 at 05:24 AM about the 2004 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

My '04 Escape has around 87,000 miles on it.  About 1000 miles ago, it started having a very slight vibration in the 8 to 20 mph range.  It has consistently been getting worse.  I now feel the small vibration at 55 mph.  I haven't driven it in 4 1/2 months because of it.  I bought a used drive shaft from a junk yard for $60.00.  Haven't done anything with it since.  What tools do I need and are there any special precautions I need to take when doing this job?  I don't have a whole lot of cash to burn on it but will buy the right parts needed to fix it.  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.  Complete job instructions would be better.  I have a degree in diesel mechanics so I am inclined to understand, I just need to know what I'm up against.

papa

first put in new u joints,which you could have done to yours,is a easy swap at rearend unbolt the u clamps on u joint,10 mm wrinch their are 2 of them remove pull driveshaft out replace you will have to turn it some for the splines to line up push in ,put u clamps back.other causes out of balance tires bad tie rod,Idle arm worn shocks struts.when you take out driveshaft, put tranny in nutural,jack up rearend use safty stans,as you will have to turn driveshaft to get to bolts and put it back in,block front wheels to keep from roling.

jminatta
0

I forgot to mention that the emergency brake cable plastic holder broke, causing the e-brake cable to fall down and ride on the rear drive shaft cutting a nice groove into the shaft. This may in some way be the problem but either way the rear shaft has to go. From what I understand, these are a balanced unit. Replace one part and it had to be balanced with the other prior to installation.

papa

NO it dont need to be rebalanced all are factory balanced the same.