2006 Charger RT stalls just after fill up

67cuda
115

Asked by 67cuda Feb 06, 2013 at 01:28 PM about the 2006 Dodge Charger RT

I have experienced something strange and would like to know if others have had the same problem.
A week ago I fill the charger up (premium) and then made a very short drive to the local DD drive up and the car stalled, it started up again with no issue but then stalled again a few seconds later. I started the charger again and drove home less than a mile and parked it in my gararge. the following morning I started the car and backed out of the gararge it stalled again but restarted with no problem. Drove the car all week without additional issues.
Yesterday I filled the Charger up again and the same thing happened all over again. Could it be that I need a new gas cap or is something else going on that I'm not aware of.

Your input would be great!

51,075

I have heard of it in other makes. Next time you gas up, don't pump in extra gas to bump it up to a round dollar. There a vapor recovery canister that might get gas in it and cause stalling. Not really sure if that's the cause in your case but give it a try.

Steve Moscatel
105

I agree with tenspeed...you're over filling.

Don Beckham
250

The problem is not only when you "top off"... if you fill-up without topping off, the problem also occurs... Mine started doing this at about 90K miles and I never top off. The problem seems to be with the vapor purge valve on top of the tank. This valve is designed to open and allow fuel vapor (gases - NOT LIQUID) to flow to the engine and be burned off instead of venting to the atmosphere. When this valve is functioning properly, it should never be open when the tank is full. Apparently, over time the valve gets stuck open from corrosion allowing liquid fuel (from a fill-up) to enter the vapor line. This will cause the engine to run "rich" and the o2 sensor will detect unburned fuel in the exhaust causing the computer to lower the quantity of fuel to the injectors resulting in the engine miss or even an engine stall.

Best Answer
Don Beckham
250

BTW: The Charger and 300 have the same chassis and will have the same problems.,

67cuda
115

Don, Thank you it makes perfect sense and just so you know my Charger RT has 127,000 miles on it.

Burke Stuart
30

Watch out for dealerships. They said it was an internal thermostat which cost over1000 to replace. Thanks for the info!

67cuda
115

Burke, traded in the Charger RT for a 2013 Challenger RT and all is right in the world.

CarLoverInVA
170

Bought a used 2006 Charger RT last year and day 2 had the stalling issue. Took back to dealership who blamed son for overfilling. So, he never fills up (annoying). Had car in for engine light and referred them to the news item on the stalling issue and they said it needs a new gas tank ($1500+). I asked about EVAP and they said that would not fix it. TRUTH or LIE?

67cuda
115

CarLoverinVa, Can't answer the true fix but I did start using 93 octane and the problem went away but it could have come back you see I traded the Charger in for a New Challenger RT two months ago.

Cachetin_06DaytonaRT
55

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have a 2006 Charger Daytona RT 5.7 Hemi, and twice that I have filled up it has stalled... What is the solution to this? Can anyone help?

CarLoverInVA
170

So here is a compilation of stories - service advisor, 300 owner, tech: this is a big issue that Chrysler has acknowledged, but no formal service bulletin or recall. YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS COMPLAINT WHEN GETTING ANY SERVICE DONE. ALSO REPORT/CALL CHRYSLER CUSTOMER SERVICE and provide the last 8 digits of your VIN and have them log in the stalling problem. There is deterioration in the upper parts of the filler pipe. The vent (can't recall the proper name) causes the sensors to think that gas is overfilling which shuts off the car (like some cars that will not start if the gas cap is not on completely.) replacing this part will not solve the problem long term. Only solution (300 owner) was gas tank replace. Lots of $$$. I have reported this as a safety issue since the car can shut off when driving on an expressway going 60 mph or turning in front of oncoming traffic. Other option is never to fill up tank.

CarLoverInVA
170

Don is correct above. It is the vapor canister (EVAP) but replacing it will not solve problem for good. Guy with 300 still had to replace gas tank AFTER doing the EVAP replacement. Complain and describe your safety concern. Safety complaints get attention.

Cachetin_06DaytonaRT
55

Thank you CarLoverinVA, Don and everyone else. This was very helpful. I will call the number and log it in. I still need to go and do the recalls and the 90K service. I will not top off again... Thanks again.

Mloeffler
20

My 2006 charger RT started doing this last week. Happened while I was turning and my power steering went out. Very unsafe

CarLoverInVA
170

There really should be a recall on this. Especially when it happens while driving. Only way for them to track the issues is to call Chrysler Customer Service line and log a complaint and ask if there is a recall or service bulletin. Be sure to tell them of the safety issue. If we all do this, maybe we can get this resolved. It is a Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger common complaint that even the dealer service mgrs know about.

NJ_Driver
20

I have experienced the same issue the 1st time well over 2 years ago . The NHTSA has had an investigation open for 6 months and there have simply been documents traded back and forth between Chrysler and the NHTSA but there has been no movement. I believe that if you submit a complaint (and their list of complaints grows) we (the Dodge Magnum owners) will hopefully see movement on this becoming an official recall. Here is the link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action? referenceSearch.requestId=3627&referenceSearch.urlCode=KY22Y4T6F GEV18U

CarLoverInVA
170

Great help NJ_Driver. That link didn't connect, so this should work for anyone who has the Charger or 300 in the trouble years (mine is 2006). www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners Once on the link, File a Complaint so this can be addressed as a major safety issue. When a car just shuts off when driving, at any speed, it is NEVER a safe thing.

DKA
40

Same thing just happened to my 06 R/T. Have to replace the tank and canister. Logged with Chrysler. Is it just based on the number of complaints?

CarLoverInVA
170

First, you need to make sure that the DEALER SERVICE MANAGER reports your problem into Chrysler. If you have had a safety related issue (car cuts off going 55 mph or cuts off when crossing traffic intersection) that gets Chrysler's attention. Call Chrysler Customer Care. Here are a few successful phone numbers: Phone: 800-992-1997 Alternate: 800-247-9753 If you need to call Chrysler customer service you can do so from 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. Monday to Friday or 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. Saturday and Sunday. (EST). It could be a long hold, but don't give up. Customer Service US: 1-800-247-9753 Customer Service Canada (English): 1-800-465-2001 Customer Service Canada (French): 1-800-387-9983 Customer Service Mexico (From Mexico Phone): 01-800-505-1300 You will need the last 8 - 12 digits of your VIN. Tell them you want to determine if there is a RECALL or Service Bulletin for your problem (Car Cuts OFF). Don't tell them YOUR DIAGNOSIS. You can tell them that you have spoken to other owners with similar problems and what they had to do, if you'd like. Emphasize SAFETY since that is your main concern in addition to the frustration and repeated service visits and costs. You want to file a complaint even if there is no Service Bulletin.

gtxram05
50

I have a 2006 magnum r/t and I changed the purge valve solenoid 38 dollars it is located on the passenger front tower very easy to change I even over filled and not shutting off any more its worth a try

You think this is helpful.
CarLoverInVA
170

Thanks, will try that!

gtxram05
50

when I said tower I meant to say shock tower

Chuck De Vries
90

Chrysler issued a warranty extension under the NHTSA investigation number PE13-016. The only problem is they only extend the warranty on the tanks for a select ammount of VIN numbers. My car was not covered under the VIN list they created but I was still having the same issue. I ended up having to replace the tank, and pay for the dealership misdiagnosis, out of my own pocket. Chrysler has been absolutely NO HELP what so ever and neither has the dealership. Every person I talk to tells me that they empathise with me but that their hands are tied. Same exact problem, recreated the same exact way, and with the same exact resolution.

You think this is helpful.
DKA
40

How do you find the VIN numbers covered?

Chuck De Vries
90

They will only confirm or deny that your VIN is covered if you call them with it. I can not find a listing anywhere. I keep seeing more and more 2006 Chargers starting to have this issue. The only think I can think of is if you have the issue go to the NHTSA website and lodge a complaint with them. We need to get the warranty extended for all the vehicles that are having this problem, not just the select few that they want to cover.

DKA
40

Thanks for the info Chuck. Will call with the VIN and lodge a complaint with the NHTSA. You would think that the dealership would have the VINs. If some of the VINS have the problem, why wouldn't all of them. I agree with you that all should be covered. I purchased my car new in 2006. It is now 2014. I never overfilled the tank. Funny it happened now if I had been overfilling as the dealership wanted to say was the cause (it means that I would have been overfilling for 8 years?). So, for others who are told they are overfilling, I would say it is not always the case.

Chuck De Vries
90

The dealership told me the same thing. Unfortunately for the first canister replacement I beleived them. I thought maybe more gas was getting in after that firts 'click' of the hose and I should just be more cautious. I started making sure that I didn't let the hose get the first click and I wasn't completely filling up again, but it still got past about 7/8 of a tank full and then it died out again. leaving me stuck in the middle of an intersection in a panic trying to get it out of traffic. When I had it towed to the dealership again (A month after the first canister replacement) they wanted to use the same "you filled the tank too full" argument, and that is when I had enough. I did my research and found the investigation. I e-mailed the guy at the NHTSA and within a week PE13-016 was closed and he assured me that Chrysler was going to send me a letter because they were extending the warranty on the tanks. Unfortunately I was not in the VIN group and I am still waiting to get this covered. Good luck to you and I hope yours is one that actually is covered. I've given Chrysler and the dealership plenty of oppertunity to make this right and they have not.

jpopejoy18
10

Same thing here. I bought my 2006 Charger R/T new June 2005. I have 95000 on my car and it has been doing this stalling issue for over a year now. I don't have the funds to fix it but the first time this happened while driving on the grapevine! With all the GM problems of them not addressing issues like this, I sure hope the Chrysler Corp does. I will file my complain now. Thanks for all the info guys!

sbenabe
20

I have the same problem with my 06 Charger. Fill it up and it stalls, shuts off and loses steering. Extremely dangerous. Dealership is not aware of problem. Called Dodge and they were no help. My VIN number was not part of the extended warranty. They also told me they are not responsible for anything if there is an accident. I referenced the NHTSA (safercar.gov) investigation results and still no results. Even though the investigation on the NHTSA website is closed I still wrote in a complaint and saw many new complaints about this problem there also. I hope Dodge understands this is a safety issue and provides the extended warranty to fix the problem to everyone. I am making sure my problem is logged in is an many places as possible. The information provided here has been extremely helpful.

Bd Saylor
10

having the same problem here, will call chrysler on it and report it. thanks guys for your input. never experienced anything like this. i ended up replacing a fuel pump, after too many stalls it quit. but having same stalling issues with a new fuel pump. will try the purge-valve solenoid next. very aggrievating when you can't fill up at the gas pump.

EnglishPete
10

My 2006 Charger R/T had the stalling problem and my local dealer confirmed there is a lifetime warranty on the tank and it will be replaced at no cost, BUT! there are no tanks available and no idea of when they will be, this is because of the massive demand for tanks.

CarLoverInVA
170

EnglishPete, can you ask the dealer what the Service Bulletin # is or the specific reference post or memorandum (maybe even a photocopy or the page or screen) that can be provided to all the others impacted. I also am curious to know if the cost for the tank removal and reinstall is fully covered by the lifetime warranty? The replacement labor cost will not be cheap if everyone only gets the 'part' but is responsible for the labor. Thanks for your update.

EnglishPete
10

I saw on the screen at the dealership confirmation of a lifetime warranty, I put a call in yesterday requesting further information and will post any relevant details that I get.

DKA
40

Thanks EnglishPete and CarLoverinVA - any information would be helpful to get my money back - the tank alone costs a lot because of the scarcity - my part was located in another state and had to be shipped. The labor costs were also astronomical. I have held on to my receipts so I could file for reimbursement if a recall, etc. occurred.

EnglishPete
10

DKA, I believe if you go to a Chrysler dealership and give them your VIN number they should give you an answer there and then as to if your car is eligible and if they will reimburse your costs.

DKA
40

I was at a dealership - they said it was not a recall item. That's why I was hoping you could provide additional information. Thanks

gemtx
0

Under 999999 miles or 999 months, it is an EXTENDED WARRANTY item, not a recall. With thoses numbers it's essentially a lifetime warranty. Call your Dodge dealer service and give them the VIN; they'll tell you.

sbenabe
20

Today I got an extended warranty letter from Chrysler so I can go and get my fuel tank replaced. The letter came with a refund request in case I had already replaced it. If you are having the fuel tank problem (I have an 06 Charger RT), make sure you call Chrysler about it, so it can be documented. Also, let you dealership know what is going on. Many times they have no idea about it. About a month ago I called Chrysler to check on my VIN number with no positive results. But today I received that nice surprise in the mail.

DKA
40

I received a letter in the mail today from Chrysler Group LLC. It has my car's VIN on it. I thought I would share in case it helps someone else. "This letter is to inform you that the warranty period (3 years or 36,000 miles) on your vehicle's 19-gallon fuel tank has been extended to lifetime coverage. This extended fuel tank warranty coverage applies to select model year 2005-2006 Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Magnum vehicles. Our records show that you either own or lease one of the vehicles affected by this extended warranty. We are extending the fuel tank warranty period because some of the affected vehicle population may experience a condition where the fuel shut-off float, in the multifunction control valve sticks, which may result in the vehicle stalling after refueling. If you are experiencing this condition now or in the future, simply contact your dealer to have the repairs performed. Conversely, if you do not experience this condition, then your fuel tank multifunction control valve is operating correctly and no repair is necessary. If you have already experienced this stalling after refueling condition and previously paid for a repair, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement. You may complete the enclosed Customer Reimbursement Claim Form and send your original receipts, invoices, and/or repair order to the following address for reimbursement. Your claim will be acted upon within 60 days of receipt. Chrysler Customer Assistance Center PO Box 21-8004 Auburn Hills, MI 48321-8004" There are 2 more paragraphs. I am filing for reimbursement. I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread. I hope this is helpful.

You think this is helpful.
jpopejoy18
10

DKA, You ROCK! Thanks for the info. I just got off the phone with my local Dodge Dealer and they said my car had an extended warranty for the gas tank due to stalling issues after fill-up. Thanks for giving the information about the letter. Now after over 2 years of dealing with this issue it will finally be fixed! This Thread is the best so far!

thriftygal
0

I just received the same letter in the mail....I have 2006 Charger RT/Hemi. I filled my tank and not even 2 blocks away my car stalled right in the middle of the road. A nice police officer saw me stalled and stopped and directed traffic while I called a tow truck. As soon as I called the dealer to tell them the car was on the way to them for a check up they asked me if I had recently filled the tank. So Chrysler KNEW something was wrong. They replaced the vapor canister and the solenoid proportional surge and charged me $339.00 plus $60.00 towing fee. I am happy to have received this letter in the mail today because I could be getting a refund for my troubles.

DKA
40

thriftygal - I agree - They Knew - I got the same response, but you got off light - my dealership rooked me big time. Don't think they won't be hearing from me - and publicly on their website as well. My reimbursement claim is ready to mail tomorrow.

gemtx
0

I'd like to potentially take credit for all the letters going out NOW (or could just be coincidence). I spent quite a while with Dodge Support two days ago (thus my post two days ago explaining 999999miles or 999months - direct from the support gal's writing), and the gal said "we sent you a letter long ago." I asked for a resend and was told "no." Guess what, I got the same letter as all of you TODAY. Called dealer two days ago, and free new tank/cannister on the way. Peace all!

gemtx
0

Now to find a warranty/recall on transmission getting stuck at 55mph (requiring a full stop and restart). There MAY be one. Peace

thriftygal
0

I sent my letter and all the documentation they requested in to them today. I goofed when I said previously that the dealer charged me $339 plus $60 towing fee. Those two charges were only for towing and labor. They charged me $174 for the parts. So my total costs were $573. Their letter says they will reply within 60 days. We'll see.

EnglishPete
10

My R/T is at the dealership in Fort Myers today having a new tank fitted, after being told there were no tanks available I went to the top guy there who was brilliant, the next day I had a call from parts to say the tank would be delivered the next day, and it was!

thriftygal
0

EnglishPete: Good for you.....he who speaks the loudest gets the mostest. That's what my daughter always says.

thriftygal
0

EnglishPete: I live in Florida also--Spring Hill, about 45 minutes north of Tampa.

CarLoverInVA
170

Here's an update from Eastern Virginia on the 'tank' letter. You need to go to a Chrysler service location who will 'inspect' your care for the issue. Even though I have records in their system that I have brought the car in a number of times for this issue, I still had to go in. They basically logged into the system and the associated bulletin, and put in the order for the tank. The dealers are able to order, and get ONE tank per week. So, if you did not contact the service department early, you may have to wait. If you have multiple dealers in your area, maybe call to see where you would be on the list.

CarLoverInVA
170

BTW, thanks to all for contacting Chrysler and the NHTSA to escalate the safety of this problem. I think our persistence made this finally happen. Also, I am sure Chrysler did not want a GM issue to the tune of Brand and financial exposure with all of us driving a car that could just shut off while driving. Potential Deaths will always get Attention.

Lloyd Landers
0

I called my local dealer today and was told my VIN number was on the list to have my gas tank replaced. He said they are going by build date. Said my Chrysler 300 SRT8 would be fixed free of charge!! Will take one month to get new tank.

CarLoverInVA
170

Finally, all of the 2006 Chargers and 300s will get the gas tank replacement. Not sure about other years. I think the contact to NTSB and directly to Chrysler with this stalling being an injury or death potential, depending on where you stall, plus with all of the GM issues in the news, Chrysler made the right decision for all of us owners. Yeah! Ours was replaced and no problems and can fill the tank. Double Yeah!