2006 Charger RT stalls just after fill up

67cuda
115

Asked by 67cuda Feb 06, 2013 at 01:28 PM about the 2006 Dodge Charger RT

I have experienced something strange and would like to know if others have had the same problem.
A week ago I fill the charger up (premium) and then made a very short drive to the local DD drive up and the car stalled, it started up again with no issue but then stalled again a few seconds later. I started the charger again and drove home less than a mile and parked it in my gararge. the following morning I started the car and backed out of the gararge it stalled again but restarted with no problem. Drove the car all week without additional issues.
Yesterday I filled the Charger up again and the same thing happened all over again. Could it be that I need a new gas cap or is something else going on that I'm not aware of.

Your input would be great!

45,595

I have heard of it in other makes. Next time you gas up, don't pump in extra gas to bump it up to a round dollar. There a vapor recovery canister that might get gas in it and cause stalling. Not really sure if that's the cause in your case but give it a try.

Steve Moscatel
95

I agree with tenspeed...you're over filling.

Don Beckham
200

The problem is not only when you "top off"... if you fill-up without topping off, the problem also occurs... Mine started doing this at about 90K miles and I never top off. The problem seems to be with the vapor purge valve on top of the tank. This valve is designed to open and allow fuel vapor (gases - NOT LIQUID) to flow to the engine and be burned off instead of venting to the atmosphere. When this valve is functioning properly, it should never be open when the tank is full. Apparently, over time the valve gets stuck open from corrosion allowing liquid fuel (from a fill-up) to enter the vapor line. This will cause the engine to run "rich" and the o2 sensor will detect unburned fuel in the exhaust causing the computer to lower the quantity of fuel to the injectors resulting in the engine miss or even an engine stall.

Best Answer
Don Beckham
200

BTW: The Charger and 300 have the same chassis and will have the same problems.,

67cuda
115

Don, Thank you it makes perfect sense and just so you know my Charger RT has 127,000 miles on it.

Burke Stuart
20

Watch out for dealerships. They said it was an internal thermostat which cost over1000 to replace. Thanks for the info!

67cuda
115

Burke, traded in the Charger RT for a 2013 Challenger RT and all is right in the world.

CarLoverInVA
150

Bought a used 2006 Charger RT last year and day 2 had the stalling issue. Took back to dealership who blamed son for overfilling. So, he never fills up (annoying). Had car in for engine light and referred them to the news item on the stalling issue and they said it needs a new gas tank ($1500+). I asked about EVAP and they said that would not fix it. TRUTH or LIE?

67cuda
115

CarLoverinVa, Can't answer the true fix but I did start using 93 octane and the problem went away but it could have come back you see I traded the Charger in for a New Challenger RT two months ago.

Cachetin_06DaytonaRT
45

Thank you. This is very helpful. I have a 2006 Charger Daytona RT 5.7 Hemi, and twice that I have filled up it has stalled... What is the solution to this? Can anyone help?

CarLoverInVA
150

So here is a compilation of stories - service advisor, 300 owner, tech: this is a big issue that Chrysler has acknowledged, but no formal service bulletin or recall. YOU NEED TO MAKE THIS COMPLAINT WHEN GETTING ANY SERVICE DONE. ALSO REPORT/CALL CHRYSLER CUSTOMER SERVICE and provide the last 8 digits of your VIN and have them log in the stalling problem. There is deterioration in the upper parts of the filler pipe. The vent (can't recall the proper name) causes the sensors to think that gas is overfilling which shuts off the car (like some cars that will not start if the gas cap is not on completely.) replacing this part will not solve the problem long term. Only solution (300 owner) was gas tank replace. Lots of $$$. I have reported this as a safety issue since the car can shut off when driving on an expressway going 60 mph or turning in front of oncoming traffic. Other option is never to fill up tank.

CarLoverInVA
150

Don is correct above. It is the vapor canister (EVAP) but replacing it will not solve problem for good. Guy with 300 still had to replace gas tank AFTER doing the EVAP replacement. Complain and describe your safety concern. Safety complaints get attention.

Cachetin_06DaytonaRT
45

Thank you CarLoverinVA, Don and everyone else. This was very helpful. I will call the number and log it in. I still need to go and do the recalls and the 90K service. I will not top off again... Thanks again.

Mloeffler
10

My 2006 charger RT started doing this last week. Happened while I was turning and my power steering went out. Very unsafe

CarLoverInVA
150

There really should be a recall on this. Especially when it happens while driving. Only way for them to track the issues is to call Chrysler Customer Service line and log a complaint and ask if there is a recall or service bulletin. Be sure to tell them of the safety issue. If we all do this, maybe we can get this resolved. It is a Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger common complaint that even the dealer service mgrs know about.

NJ_Driver
20

I have experienced the same issue the 1st time well over 2 years ago . The NHTSA has had an investigation open for 6 months and there have simply been documents traded back and forth between Chrysler and the NHTSA but there has been no movement. I believe that if you submit a complaint (and their list of complaints grows) we (the Dodge Magnum owners) will hopefully see movement on this becoming an official recall. Here is the link: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResultsByUrlCode.action? referenceSearch.requestId=3627&referenceSearch.urlCode=KY22Y4T6F GEV18U

CarLoverInVA
150

Great help NJ_Driver. That link didn't connect, so this should work for anyone who has the Charger or 300 in the trouble years (mine is 2006). www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners Once on the link, File a Complaint so this can be addressed as a major safety issue. When a car just shuts off when driving, at any speed, it is NEVER a safe thing.

DKA
10

Same thing just happened to my 06 R/T. Have to replace the tank and canister. Logged with Chrysler. Is it just based on the number of complaints?

CarLoverInVA
150

First, you need to make sure that the DEALER SERVICE MANAGER reports your problem into Chrysler. If you have had a safety related issue (car cuts off going 55 mph or cuts off when crossing traffic intersection) that gets Chrysler's attention. Call Chrysler Customer Care. Here are a few successful phone numbers: Phone: 800-992-1997 Alternate: 800-247-9753 If you need to call Chrysler customer service you can do so from 8 A.M. to 8 P.M. Monday to Friday or 9 A.M. to 5 P.M. Saturday and Sunday. (EST). It could be a long hold, but don't give up. Customer Service US: 1-800-247-9753 Customer Service Canada (English): 1-800-465-2001 Customer Service Canada (French): 1-800-387-9983 Customer Service Mexico (From Mexico Phone): 01-800-505-1300 You will need the last 8 - 12 digits of your VIN. Tell them you want to determine if there is a RECALL or Service Bulletin for your problem (Car Cuts OFF). Don't tell them YOUR DIAGNOSIS. You can tell them that you have spoken to other owners with similar problems and what they had to do, if you'd like. Emphasize SAFETY since that is your main concern in addition to the frustration and repeated service visits and costs. You want to file a complaint even if there is no Service Bulletin.

gtxram05
40

I have a 2006 magnum r/t and I changed the purge valve solenoid 38 dollars it is located on the passenger front tower very easy to change I even over filled and not shutting off any more its worth a try

You think this is helpful.
CarLoverInVA
150

Thanks, will try that!

gtxram05
40

when I said tower I meant to say shock tower

Chuck De Vries
40

Chrysler issued a warranty extension under the NHTSA investigation number PE13-016. The only problem is they only extend the warranty on the tanks for a select ammount of VIN numbers. My car was not covered under the VIN list they created but I was still having the same issue. I ended up having to replace the tank, and pay for the dealership misdiagnosis, out of my own pocket. Chrysler has been absolutely NO HELP what so ever and neither has the dealership. Every person I talk to tells me that they empathise with me but that their hands are tied. Same exact problem, recreated the same exact way, and with the same exact resolution.

You think this is helpful.
DKA
10

How do you find the VIN numbers covered?

Chuck De Vries
40

They will only confirm or deny that your VIN is covered if you call them with it. I can not find a listing anywhere. I keep seeing more and more 2006 Chargers starting to have this issue. The only think I can think of is if you have the issue go to the NHTSA website and lodge a complaint with them. We need to get the warranty extended for all the vehicles that are having this problem, not just the select few that they want to cover.

DKA
10

Thanks for the info Chuck. Will call with the VIN and lodge a complaint with the NHTSA. You would think that the dealership would have the VINs. If some of the VINS have the problem, why wouldn't all of them. I agree with you that all should be covered. I purchased my car new in 2006. It is now 2014. I never overfilled the tank. Funny it happened now if I had been overfilling as the dealership wanted to say was the cause (it means that I would have been overfilling for 8 years?). So, for others who are told they are overfilling, I would say it is not always the case.

Chuck De Vries
40

The dealership told me the same thing. Unfortunately for the first canister replacement I beleived them. I thought maybe more gas was getting in after that firts 'click' of the hose and I should just be more cautious. I started making sure that I didn't let the hose get the first click and I wasn't completely filling up again, but it still got past about 7/8 of a tank full and then it died out again. leaving me stuck in the middle of an intersection in a panic trying to get it out of traffic. When I had it towed to the dealership again (A month after the first canister replacement) they wanted to use the same "you filled the tank too full" argument, and that is when I had enough. I did my research and found the investigation. I e-mailed the guy at the NHTSA and within a week PE13-016 was closed and he assured me that Chrysler was going to send me a letter because they were extending the warranty on the tanks. Unfortunately I was not in the VIN group and I am still waiting to get this covered. Good luck to you and I hope yours is one that actually is covered. I've given Chrysler and the dealership plenty of oppertunity to make this right and they have not.

jpopejoy18
0

Same thing here. I bought my 2006 Charger R/T new June 2005. I have 95000 on my car and it has been doing this stalling issue for over a year now. I don't have the funds to fix it but the first time this happened while driving on the grapevine! With all the GM problems of them not addressing issues like this, I sure hope the Chrysler Corp does. I will file my complain now. Thanks for all the info guys!