Ford Escape 2004 4x4 45mph+ vibration

kunz
0

Asked by kunz Jan 13, 2011 at 05:35 PM about the 2004 Ford Escape Limited 4WD

Approx 100,000 miles on Escape   - Vibration detectable at about 45 mph and gets significantly worst toward 65 mph.  Not consistent however- Sometimes does not occur during below freezing Temp for under 30 mile distances.  Steering wheel is always steady, CV Boots & axles all appear good. Road force balanced tires no affect, installed new drive shaft u-joints - no affect. Drive Shaft carrier bearing - no signs of rubbing or wear. Tranny and rear differential bearings do not get warm, no movement and no signs of leakage.  Mechanic suspects the Transaxle mounts which allow fairly easy engine/Tranny movement with pry bar.  Transaxle mounts have no visual damage.  Since the vibration started in Nov 2010 have only been using Escape short distances but need to get it fixed.  Other blogs on subject gave insight on what didn't work but didn't see much on resolution. One mentioned the mounts were also suspect but no follow-up was posted.   Anyone have any experience with bad Transaxle mounts? Symptoms?

Shawn Cook
15

If it were mounts i would think the vibration would always be there regardless of speed. Sounds to me like it is something that is spinning. Dose it do it in all the higher gears 3rd 4th overdrive? could have something to to with your trany, torque converter or transfer case. If it is all time 4wd i would make sure all your tires are the same size and one is not wore more than the other.

papa

at 100.000 miles ,yes I would say the mounts are worn out,thay are made of rubber inside the mounts.if you live in a area where their is snow ,the chemicles ,salt sand they put on the roads will eat away at them,being that all that stuff is being throne underneith the vehicle and they are at the low point of the vehicle.

kunz
0

Switching gears 3 , 4, overdrive on/ off and the 4x4 dash switch auto/on , Trans in neutral or not - all have no change in vibration. The vibration seems to be related to wheel rotation - not Engine RPM or Transmission related. The tires are Goodyear Long Train new in May 2010 and road great to Canada and back in August and up to November when the Vibration started. After a normal balance and Road force balance It is unlikely to be tire related. I have yet to rule out wheel bearings or CV Joints but those also are unlikely since all CV boots are in good shape, no hand movement in joints or wheel bearings, no warmth either. - However no guarantee that the previous owner replaced torn boots after driving around on them. I plan on finding a 2004 4x4 escape to compare the motor/transaxle mount looseness and also plan on seeing if a dyno would be of aid locating vibration source.

kunz
0

I tend to agree - However I don't want to keep replacing parts with out some more evidence - hence the posting. I haven’t experienced or heard of bad mounts is it common? and why is the vibration not RPM related but wheel driven related? Would loose/worn engine trans mounts only vibrate after 45 mph regardless of Engine RPM or Trans gear 3 - 4 OD ? Cold weather seems to answer why no vibration in near zero deg F conditions and Warm up car in garage and the vibration is really bad starting around 45 mph and up. I had experienced bad CV joints and am somewhat suspicious of them as well.

papa

to be honest as i can yes.

Jon Keachie
845

Check your Drive shaft hanger bearing, I had the exact same problem in my 05 AWD, crawl under and grab hold the drive shaft before and after the hanger bearing, if you can wiggle it the hanger bearing is bad, there should be no play in that bearing... replace bearing problem solved.

Amed Mejia
0

Id say aside from checking your motor mounts, check your tires for uneveness or knots from possibly hitting curbs or too much air in the tires. I had a friend that had waves on his tires that caused them to do that.

papa

why you diging up old post????

Christian Bocka
115

I had a similar problem with mine. the problem was the front left wheel bearing needed to be replaced and now the vibrations are gone and alot of road noise is too.

deez9
30

sounds like mounts and/or wheel bearings........100,000 miles is a pretty good amount to have on it before this starts......my gmc needs new wheel bearings every 12 months and sometimes as early as 9 months apart.....it's a piece of shit....honestly, it sounds like you did pretty good so far, but this stuff is replacable and should last .......my situation and suv is a little different then yours.......don't worry

deez9
30

honestly, you are getting MUCH better mileage then i did before replacing mounts and bearings on my general motors suv......