2012 Sonata SE Steering Problem

sonatacam
10

Asked by sonatacam Jan 02, 2012 at 09:24 AM about the 2012 Hyundai Sonata SE

Have the steering problems experienced with the 2011 Sonatas been resolved for the 2012 models?  My SE with 600 miles on it has a very " light " feel and is difficult to hold "center" without constant steering correction.  No pull to any one side but continuous steering correction needed to hold lane.  My dealer has not been of much help with this thus far since no direction from the factory has been given.  Any suggested fixes learned from the 2011"s?

James Warner
1,900

i know this is not what you want to hear as an answer but the main issue with the steering that your talking about is honestly just really poor salesman. yours is the first model sonata with electric power steering instead of traditional hydaulic power steering on past models. ive been a hyundai tech for 11 years and this is the most common complaint lately. it does feel very different and it takes getting used to. there is another setting stored for the power steering that i believe is called the "sport setting" which gives it a tighter feel. but that probably wont help your feeling of constantly adjusting the wheel. the important thing to understand with this system is there is no "give" like there is in a hydraulic system. if you turn the steering wheel the wheels are moving with it

Best Answer
James Warner
1,900

oh and im sure with all the complaints thats ive heard, hyundai is working on a 'fix" for this concern

sonatacam
10

I drove another 2012 SE for comparison and the problem with that one was much less noticeable on the same road. Seems to be my vehicle that needs an adjustment at this point. I will ask about the "sport setting" mentioned which might help the situation. It is also my understanding that the power boost system adjusts to the speed of the vehicle. If this system is not performing properly, will I get the over-steer that I am experiencing?

James Warner
1,900

its possible, but that should set a code in the steering module.you shoul feel more resistance as you go faster to compensate for the electric steering

gratz101
20

When I test drove it last year, the steering was the reason why I decided not to buy the Hyundai Sonata. It was WAY too stiff. The plastic inside is mediocre quality, but besides that there is something seriously wrong with that car. I would stay away.

sonatacam
10

My 2012 Sonata now has about 2,800 miles and the steering issue experienced when it had 600 miles is far less noticeable. The only change made was a realignment by the dealer at 600 miles which did not appear to be a cure for the "wander" problem at first. Right now I don't consider this to be a problem. Poor fuel economy and low speed performance are now the focus of my issues with the dealer.

jumperD
20

I Just bought a 2013 Sonata GLS and noticed it wandering left and right on the highway immediately. The dealer says it is within spec and tried initially to tell me that it was because I wasn't used to electric steering. Well, I have driven both the new Accord and Altima and neither of them wander at highway speeds. I also noticed that the car pulls left when accelerating hard. Hyundai Corporate isn't any help either. I would not Recommend this car to anyone that does any highway driving.

cicciuzzu
30

I have driven Alfa Romeos since 1972. Driving my 2013 Sonata drove me nuts as I hated electronic steering at freeway speeds. My solution: ignore the problem. I now drive at freeway speeds by not over steeribg and relaxing my grip. The sonata now seems to have a little road feel and I am less displeased with the steering.

Stacie Girard
20

Hate the steering and drives me nuts too! When you try to hold to center going down the interstate there is a small give in the steering wheel which sends you in the other direction making you correct constantly. I agree with above that ignoring it is the 'temporary solution' but I'm just short of trading it in. Not happy with this issue. I watch other Sonatas on the road and see them veering back and forth looking like a drunk driver. My husband doesn't even like to drive it any more due to this issue. Seems like a manufacturer flaw that seriously needs to be checked out. I will not recommend this car to anyone specifically due to this issue. Rest of car is great but I cannot get over the give.

wllogan
30

I have a 2012 Sonata. This is the third Hyundai I have owned (Elantra, XG350). I am disabled with two bad hands. The steering is so hard at highway speeds that I hate to do any long drives. My wife has a 2007 Cobalt with electric steering. No problems driving the Chevy. Hyundai please fix this problem as you are causing me a lot of pain and suffering.

slipperyslope
30

THE NOT SO SECRET AGENDA OF HYUNDAI. Hyundai Motor America says if you post videos on the internet accusing them of racial discrimination, they will sue you and seek your arrest. Hyundai officials also say if you complain about your car's repair needs, and post and blog your views on the internet, they will consider it harassment of their customers and employees, and sue you and seek your arrest. Hyundai said if you complain,  they have the right to refuse service and will ban you from their property. However, none of  these statements are in the Hyundai owner manuals and warranties.  Based on letters from Hyundai dated May 28 and May 29 2013.  To voice your concerns about Hyundai you may call Hyundai agents Melanie S. Joo at 213-443-7564 or Richard Middlekauff, President L.A. Hyundai at LAX 310-846-1300. IF CALLING AFTER NORMAL HOURS, YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LEAVE A VOICE MESSAGE. [Also see Youtube channel legaladvocate71. Not affiliated with Hyundai.]

You think this is helpful.
slipperyslope
30

[Those letters from Hyundai are March 2013, not May 2013.]

You think this is helpful.
Martin YK
0

Yes I have the same problem with my 2012 Hyundai Accent it's very hard to keep the car straight you have to READJUST constantly!!!!!!!! What the hell is this? Electric Steering, no other brand has it only hyundai Recall all cars!!!!!!!!!!!

Cynthia Jamison-Witherspoon
20

On Saturday, Nov 16, 2013 while driving my 2012 Hyundai Sonata on the highway at a speed of 50 miles a hour. The steering wheel went left and I had no control. I called on Jesus and was able to regain control of the vehicle. I was not aware of the electric steering. I am trading in this car. To Dangerous! Had there been a car on the left side of me, it would have been bad, really bad. Thank God for watching over me. PTL!

mrjrmoriole
10

Just bought my 2012 Sonata earlier this month & noticed the steering problem after driving it for a short time. Thought it was an alignment problem but my brake & alignment guys checked it out....all clear. They told me it was a problem with the steering. I plan to take it by the dealership next week but am so glad I found this website first. I agree that if Hyundai wants to keep growing it's customer base, it needs to address & correct these kinds of problem since they have the potential to cause accidents.

D_House
0

I have owned a 2013 Sonata for about 6 months now (9000 miles). At first I had issues with the steering as I did not know about the electric steering either. It took about a month to get used to the steering and now I can drive it all day long and keep it from wandering. For me, it just took a little patience and some getting used to.

paulam23
0

I own a 2012 sonata with 50000 miles on my car i noticed i can feel something grabbinging, or catching under my feet when im turning... when reported to dealership, said everything looked fine...I suspect there to be some sort of problem with it later down the road.

SonataPLB
0

My 2011 Hyundai Sonata has about 74K miles. About 60K miles were highway driving. Therefore, I would say we made fewer street corner turns than most cars with 74K miles. Starting about 6 months ago, I noticed that there was a click when the steering wheel was turn to certain angle and right before the click, the steering became very loose. It felt like it was detached from the wheels ... no friction at all. I took it to Hyundai dealer and was told the previous "steering column" recall repair work on was done to my Hyundai in 2011. I was told the electric gear box in the steering system might have a worn out piece. It was the first time I realized there was an electric gear box controlling the steering. Does anyone have the same problem? How do you resolve it other than paying Hyundai dealer $500 to repair it?