2012 hyundai elantra makes a whining noise when it first starts

lsnyd1
30

Asked by lsnyd1 Jan 20, 2012 at 08:59 AM about the 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited

my 2012 hyundai elantra makes a whining noise when it first starts.  It is not a high pitch like a belt.  It is a lower pitch.  Any ideas on what this might be?

RDRV11
130

Is this your sound? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNzbq9faLnc&feature=related Please listen to the first six seconds, I am having this problem.

lsnyd1
30

yes, this noise is similar to mine. Took mine to a hyundai dealership and they said this noise was normal.

ninak
40

Mine does the same thing. Dealership also said it was normal. It didn't do that until two @ half months owning the car. Weird.???...

RDRV11
130

My car makes this noise since the first cold start up at home (with 30 miles aprox). I think this noise can not be normal. If you got this fixed, please post your solution.

James Warner
1,490

this may or may not be what is going on with your car. i cant really make out the noise in the video as well as id like. i am a hyundai tech and have seen several of the elantra vehicle coming in with a rattle or tinny squeak noise on cold start ups. i have found them to be a center exhaust pipe that has seperated internally. hyndai has recently issued a technical servie bulletin to aid in diagnosing this noise.

lsnyd1
30

James, my car has recently been making the rattle noise as well. Should I contact my hyundai dealership to follow-up on the technical service bulletin?. Thanks.

James Warner
1,490

ther is no drivability concern with this just the nuisance of the noise so it really depends on how bad its bothering you how quickly you need to get back into the dealership. but i would definitely follow up with them on our next visit

elantress
20

I have same issue, sounds exactly like noise in video. Been to dealer over a total of 15 days (in and out). They've replaced starter and main accessory belt, but still making noise after cold startup :-/. Anyone have any updates whether James' post worked?

B2013
0

Mine makes the same noise as the one in the you tube video! The dealership made me feel like an idiot! So glad I'm not the only one! i have a 2013 sedan and its been making that noise and then not making the noise so its kind of confusing me. Its back to making that noise again. Two people replied the the you tube video saying what their problem was and each was different.. hmmm

Malice123
0

I have a 2013 Elantra that makes a high pitched cyclical noise between 35 and 50 mph (bought from Hertz w/18,000 miles). I took it to the Hyundai and they put in a new transmission. It still makes the noise. So guess it is back to the dealership or Hertz. Any ideas?

theresathmc
0

James, do you know anything about why the elantra may be getting crappy gas mileage, like 27 mpg highway? The dealer thinks I am nuts, and it is not giving any codes when they hook it up to diagnostic. But I have read several online complaints about the mileage. It used to get like 34-35. It is a 2012 with 42,000

Kevin_Tan
10

Hi all, I am Hyundai Elantra 1.8 owner from Malaysia.... Many of us from Malaysia also having this problem and Hyundai always said "This is Normal"... WHY?

Persinger
0

James... I have a 2013 Elantra, and I've had mine in the dealership multiple times as well. From horn when you lock from key fob, to back seat arm rest pulling apart at the seem, to the same squealing noise when I start it, to something ratteling under car when it wet out, to now my exhaust sounding like its leaking, and it making a popping noise out of the exhaust when you turn it off. The dealership makes me feel stupid every time I go in there, because they say its all normal!!! I truly don't think this is normal. What should I do?