97 Sebring convertible won't run all the time. Car would sputter occasionally like it wasnt getting fuel but then it would take off. The car will start sometimes and not start sometimes. No check engine light comes on so you can't get any codes. We've changed the fuel pump and filter. Please help!!

Debbie Greene-Bowman
0

Asked by Debbie Oct 01, 2012 at 08:53 AM about the 1997 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JX Convertible

randallel21
0

That is funny, I am having the exact same problem but no it will turn over and not start, just sputter. Let me know if you figure it out too would like to know.

pybolden
50

It sounds like the fuel pump or fuel pump assembly. There is a RECALL on the fuel pumps and some assembly parts as well. If you'd like to see the list, go to: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/1997/chrysler/sebring/recalls/ Best wishes. I'm sure taking mine in! Beautiful cars.

pybolden
50

I'm sorry - I didn't read the rest of your post. Please check all of your FUSES, this sometimes is the issue. Otherwise, there may be a relay issue. However, I'd take it to the approved RECALL repair shop and perhaps there is something still missing after you've replaced that fuel filter. Sorry you spent your hard-earned money on a recall item! :(

tommcmanis
5,505

Distributor cap+rotor as they are hidden quite well they dont get changed very often these can be a pain to swap out. Mind where the plug wires go as you wont know you made a mistake till is all put back together

tommcmanis
5,505

An egr pipe will need removed to gain full access to cap

Danny Palmer
20

Might be a bit late, but check your ASD relay (Auto Shut Down) located under the hood, next to the battery. You wont get a code with this issue, as the car doesn't know its getting fual/spark at this point, since the relay is saying its supposed to be off. You'l need to remove the air intake tube from the air filter to the TBI to gain access. From the drivers side fender, it will be the bottom left of the 4 relays in the small box. It's $15 at most auto parts stores, and has been the same issue with the last 3 Sebrings I have come across. Give it a shot before spending time/money on more experiences fixes.

Texasap1
0

mine was doing similar things and the mechanic told me the head gasket was blown and that the engine block was probably cracked. It would run fine for awhile and then start sputtering and then die. It will not start right away afterwards but will if you wait. Weighing my options.